[SOLVED] applied thermal paste then pc won't boot.

rodium

Reputable
Dec 25, 2018
okay so basically, i unplugged everything OUTSIDE the case didn't undo anything INSIDE my pc except my fan... which i am hoping wasn't a mistake... now only the leds on the motherboard turn on. no fans and it won't even attempt to boot. there's no beeping or flashing but i think something in my pc is fried....

so a step by step of what i did.... turn off pc, turn off psu, struggle to unhook fan, unhook fan, use a can of air to dust the fan and pc, use rubbing alcohol to clean cpu and fan, apply rice sized glob of thermal paste, struggle to reattach fan, reattach fan, close case, plug in monitor, turn on psu, press power button, nothing... i've tried unplugging my graphics card and a few wires and plugging them back in and it still doesn't turn on.

Help please...

Edit: i have a ryzen 7 1700x if that matters

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
And if that does nothing maybe you switched the PSU while moving it around, might just be switched off right now. You should at least see a light or fans spin, but if the fan isn't plugged in correctly it may be protecting itself and not turning on.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Amount of paste wouldn't stop it from turning on, between a rice grain and about the size of a pea is acceptable, anything less than a giant blob is fine.

Something else is causing it to not boot.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Reseating the CPU has a good chance of doing it too, wasn't even paying attention to the fact that it's AMD, probably the issue, especially if you pulled straight up on the cooler, best to give the cooler a wiggle to loosen paste on AMD coolers.

InvalidError

Titan
Since you struggled with removing the HSF and putting it back on, a damaged motherboard could be a possibility.

First though, make sure that everything is connected properly and that you haven't forgotten something like the EPS12 (CPU power) cable, you won't be able to turn the PC on without it.