Appmodel 100% CPU

Dm1234

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
A while ago my CPU started being taken up by seeminly random internal processes, causing slowdowns. However recently this has become debilitating. The Task Manager is unresponsive, as are windows explorer, the start menu and the task bar, for a short time after startup I can access the task manager and so on, but after a few minutes they stop working. 'Appmodel' seems to be taking up 100% of my CPU, ive tried to restart it and I get Error 1061. Ive tried restoring my files from a backup, but that has changed nothing. I cant even right click the recycle bin to free up some space. My laptops a couple of years old but not ancient, and im using windows 10

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving that issue.
- Start by running Windows Update, install all updates available.
- Next is to run a complete virus/malware scan. Please use the link below for the tools and guide you can use.
- http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1691891/removing-malwar...
- Do also uninstall software that you don't use or those that you're not familiar with.
- Install the latest drivers and firmware specially BIOS update that may help in solving the issue.
- Also open Task Manager and go to Startup tab and disable startup items that you don't really need.
- If all these will not work it would be best to do a clean install of Windows 10.

Dm1234

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

I can't get on the settings, nothing happens when I click the start menu, I've tried to run ms-settings:windowsupdate, but nothing happens.

Currently doing a full system scan via Norton, your link doesn't seem to work.

I have no idea how to go about installing drivers or firmware, could you point me in the right direction?

I can't get on task manager at the moment, but I'll do a restart after the scan is done and try and get onto the startup then.

How would I go about the clean start? What does it do?