[SOLVED] APU mining?

Solution
can you not mine using an APU? Just curious..
The two most common crypto-currencies are BTC and ETH. BTC hasn't been cost-effective to mine on GPUs because ASIC miners are several times more power-efficient and make GPUs uneconomical. ETH is memory-intensive ("memory-hard") and would be bottlenecked by the IGP only having access to DDR4 memory over a 128bits bus. On top of that, you can only have one IGP per system, which means a huge power-efficiency penalty if you wanted to make a mining farm out of those. Since power and cooling are major costs to crypto-mining, power-efficiency is critical for breaking even.

In short, nobody mines on IGP because it makes no economic sense - costs more to run than you are likely to earn.

InvalidError

Titan
can you not mine using an APU? Just curious..
The two most common crypto-currencies are BTC and ETH. BTC hasn't been cost-effective to mine on GPUs because ASIC miners are several times more power-efficient and make GPUs uneconomical. ETH is memory-intensive ("memory-hard") and would be bottlenecked by the IGP only having access to DDR4 memory over a 128bits bus. On top of that, you can only have one IGP per system, which means a huge power-efficiency penalty if you wanted to make a mining farm out of those. Since power and cooling are major costs to crypto-mining, power-efficiency is critical for breaking even.

In short, nobody mines on IGP because it makes no economic sense - costs more to run than you are likely to earn.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution