[SOLVED] Aquiring Mac OS, Hackintosh ?'s and PC build advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Ive been debating building a hackintosh for a while now. And im trying to figure out some hardware that could be compatible but also double as a solid windows machine. Id like to run two seperate hard drives one for the mac OS and one for the Windows OS unless they can easily be dual booted on the same drive.

Anyway heres a few questions I ran into.

How do you acquire the newest Mac OS X download. Yosemite? and how do you acquire older ones such as snow leopard?

I asked a friend who has a new mac to see if he could download it for me and he said it does not let you down load it, it only attempt to try and update the current OS with it.

Also can this be downloaded with an apple account if you have not purchased a PC from them?

Next are there any good small builds, for example ITX. What mother boards work for hackintosh's

Lastily does anyone have a fully functional Hackintosh, where the OS thinks its a mac? Can they work with updates and such? etc

Solution
Apple's current EULA prohibits installing or using OSX on anything other than Apple branded hardware and any discussion about how to do it is prohibited here. Discussing the hardware is fine however.

It is not currently possible to download OSX legally. It is available through the App Store.

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

Well that sucks. Cause the newest one will probably be expensive! I guess i'll hunt a good deal on something like Snow Leopard, get a retail version with the product key and such. Now to figure out a PC build.

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

I see. When in that case, these are some hardware related questions. My goal is then to modify my PowerMac G5 as it is acting up lately. What could I replace the motherboard with other than an OEM one as they are hard to find in new condition. I can do a motherboard, processor, potentially graphics card, etc. All in one shot. Then use the superdrive, hard drive, etc. Maybe even use the old graphics card aswell. Are any of the aftermarket motherboards compatible with my original components or no?

What do you think about

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

I realize what the whole hoopla is over this topic. I didn't realize the crazy agreements they have on there software. Anyway I am just trying to salvage my power mac.

So to change the subject is it possible to pull programs off my power mac and swap them onto a newer intel device. I would like to keep as much stuff as I can. I have heard the OS systems are not compatible with each other.

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

This is true but unfortunately not cheap enough for me. I dont know if I stated in this thread but mine was dropped during shipping and I ended up keeping it. Im hopping to find a sub-50 dollar case so I can swap mine into it. And maybe nab a second hard drive from it.

Im not thinking either a MacPro (the generation right after my G5) or a new MacBook/MacBook Pro. Haven't decided yet. Ill just wait it out till the newer ones come down even a little bit more while doing some more research.

On a side note im not sure if I asked this here, but is there away to fix the boot/start up sequence? I know how to with windows once it becomes corrupted. But I haven't found anything for the mac's.

Status
Not open for further replies.