News Arctic Launches Massive CPU Cooler for EPYC, Threadripper, Xeon CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It seems even that still isn't the ultimate. Unlike this heatsink, Cooler Master has "Continuous Direct Touch Technology", where they can bunch up the heatpipes without any gaps in between.

350 W sounds impressive, until you realize that GPUs eat such amounts of cooling for breakfast.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Where is the vapor chamber ??? Cooler master did one cooler with it the TPC-812. I think it will be better than those little 6mm heat pipes.
I'm a big fan of vapor chambers. However, it's worth considering that server CPUs have a lot of chiplet area and the cores in those chiplets are running at lower clock speeds. So, that should mean there's not as big of a problem with hot-spots as you have with desktop CPUs, and therefore less need to rely on something like a vapor chamber to distribute the heat.

The issue server CPUs have is that they are producing increasing amounts of heat, especially as core counts continue to climb. So, the real focus is more on effectively transferring that heat to the air. That's why it needs so many heatpipes and such a big fin stack.

Reactions: Amdlova

DaveLTX

Prominent
Aug 14, 2022
Where is the vapor chamber ??? Cooler master did one cooler with it the TPC-812. I think it will be better than those little 6mm heat pipes.
Vapor chambers actually arent any better than heat pipes on CPUs because of how spread out they are
Small area sure they definitely make a big difference but air coolers weren't very advanced back then and the TPC812 wasn't particularly outstanding even then
Also reminder blower cards use vapor chambers and they're not exactly quiet!

It seems even that still isn't the ultimate. Unlike this heatsink, Cooler Master has "Continuous Direct Touch Technology", where they can bunch up the heatpipes without any gaps in between.

350 W sounds impressive, until you realize that GPUs eat such amounts of cooling for breakfast.
Actually being spread out more would work to it's advantage better here
But it probably would do them better to solder on a base plate
The biggest advancements we have had is the shift to tighter fins that are squeezed on the heatsink.
Although that still does have its issue mainly that after time the heat cycles tend to loosen up a old cooler and they lose their efficacy down the road.

Yes, only a few if not any high end air coolers are still soldered. The dissimilar materials are increasing thermal resistance and was a band aid to loose fitting fins a decade ago

DaveLTX

Prominent
Aug 14, 2022
id like to see this cooler for regular Cpu's to so a real challenge for the d15 or assassin iv !!
Pointless. The extra number of heatpipes only serves as nothing and is just extra restriction.
Deadweight essentially
A dual tower would be better as well

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Pointless. The extra number of heatpipes only serves as nothing and is just extra restriction.
Deadweight essentially
A dual tower would be better as well
i dont know the heat pipes between the Noctua NH-U12s and the deep cool ak500 digital surely makes a big difference not the fin stack as the deepcool fin stack is far bigger but doesnt cool as well so i would say the more heat pipes the better heat dissipation

DaveLTX

Prominent
Aug 14, 2022
i dont know the heat pipes between the Noctua NH-U12s and the deep cool ak500 digital surely makes a big difference not the fin stack as the deepcool fin stack is far bigger but doesnt cool as well so i would say the more heat pipes the better heat dissipation
No. More heat pipes beyond a certain point does not make a heatsink any better.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Vapor chambers actually arent any better than heat pipes on CPUs because of how spread out they are
Vapor chambers would make a lot of sense, if you use them like laptops or GPUs do, where it's used in place of a solid heat spreader. AMD reportedly even experimented with using them as the heat spreader for the Ryzen 7000 series!

Also reminder blower cards use vapor chambers and they're not exactly quiet!
If you're talking about GPUs, a lot of axial-fan graphics cards use vapor chambers, also. That's much more akin to what we're talking about, because a tower CPU cooler needs to use a vapor chamber + heatpipes, just like axial-fan graphics cards. The point of the vapor chamber is then simply to spread out the heat so you don't have a situation where only a couple of the heatpipes are in contact with the hot spot(s).

Actually being spread out more would work to it's advantage better here
No... having more heatpipes that are packed with no gaps is the best case scenario. The downside is how many heat pipes you'd need to cover such a large CPU.

More heat pipes beyond a certain point does not make a heatsink any better.
Source?

The main thing is to get heat pipes over the hot spots. Once you've done that, I'd agree that you probably start to hit a point of diminishing returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.