[SOLVED] ARCTIC MX-4 opened tube shelf life? (3 years in a desk drawer)

darkking791

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
hello guys as the title says , i have bought around 2019 the a tube of mx-4 (20gr) i used it 2 times and then i put it my desk drawer, after then i never touched it again.. in a few days though im gonna build a new pc and upgrade my old one so im gonna need it.. is it good to use it? or should i buy a new one? (maybe try the new mx-5?)
that was said the arctic says that in last 8 years but it doesnt specify how long last the the remaining open tube paste in the shelf/drawer ... ( i assume the 8 years is about the used paste in the cpu...)

Solution
Just try it. There's no harm.
Just DO IT.
Heck, just apply a little on a empty table or something, seat the cpu cooler on top for about a minute and see what happens. Clean up if satisfied.

MX-5 was discontinued though; batch quality was very inconsistent.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just DO IT.
Heck, just apply a little on a empty table or something, seat the cpu cooler on top for about a minute and see what happens. Clean up if satisfied.

Solution

darkking791

Honorable
Jun 8, 2018
Just DO IT.

Oh I didn't know that, there where many mx-5 tubes in the online shops of my country i will avoid it then... I guess will try the mx-4 in the old cpu before i remove it (to see if its still paste like and not dry). And if its ok i will try it with the new 5600x which im waiting.