Are all gtx 970s like this?

gac77

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Looking to get another gtx 970 for a new build. But after hearing about the ram issue, I would like to know if this issue is common to all brands of the 979. The sales guy at frys said it only was on the EVGA and Gigabyte brands.

gac77

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Thanks for the info. I figured it was, but thought I would check here to make sure. I was also looking at the r9 290x as its dang near the same price.

So what card would you suggest me getting?

I thought about the gigabyte G1 or the MSI gaming. The G1 sounds like a solid card, but I read on the gigabyte forums it has some kind of port issue where it doesn't detect the monitor.

Bros1929

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014

Usually the nvidia counterpart will run cooler than the amd card right out of the box. But, replacing thermal compound and water cooling any card will make it run cooler. So the question you need to look at is not which one would outperform the other, but rather which one do you have a preference for? I personally would get the EVGA 970, but thats just because I'm an EVGA fanboy and like nvidia products better. Why? I dont know, just the way I roll.

Personally I would go with an R9 290 (without the X), it's cheaper and has only slightly less performance. But the GTX 970 is still a really good card, you do get lower power consumption for the extra money.

it was not an issue to begin with. yes there might be problem but nvidia decides to design 970 that way. AFAIK it was an improvement to what they did on their older cards where they make weird combination of memory bus and memory amount (like GTX660). if you're going for s single 970 only the VRAM issue might not even going to affect you. but it is a different story with SLI.