Are AM2 coolers LGA 1155 compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luizedu

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I live in Brazil and have a 5 year old Athlon X2 system with its stock cooler. I just bought an i5 2500k on amazon, but, since it cannot be shipped straight to Brazil, I had to create an account on a freight forwarding company, which will then send it to me with Fedex.

The problem is that the cooler is quite big and will substantially make both shipping and taxes (with a smaller package I can more easily declare a lower value) more expensive. I've read that Intel's stock coolers aren't a big deal anyway, so I've thought about discarding it before shipping and using my AM2 cooler instead, as it does a quite venerable job and I have no plans of overclocking in the foreseeable future. Would that work, or should I buy a new cooler proper for 1155?

Thanks

Solution
OE (stock) HSF coolers do not usually interchange like aftermarket coolers which have more universal mounting systems and additional brackets to allow many of them to fit both AMD and Intel CPUs.

I'd buy a proper cooler for your CPU.

beenthere

Distinguished
OE (stock) HSF coolers do not usually interchange like aftermarket coolers which have more universal mounting systems and additional brackets to allow many of them to fit both AMD and Intel CPUs.

I'd buy a proper cooler for your CPU.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.