Are component prices really dropping? Should I return components I purchased recently?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I keep seeing random articles saying that GPU and Memory prizes are returning to normal. However, I see the contrary on Newegg and Amazon websites. What is happening?

I ordered components to build a computer. They are arriving. Have not opened any boxes except for the computer case. Total cost is about 5K. Should I return these components if their prices are going to drop by over 10% soon?

Given the 30 days return policy of NewEgg and Amazon, does it matter whether I try out the components first or just return to them unopened?

Solution

You're in Analysis Paralysis mode.

Too many choices, new upcoming choices, and rapidly changing prices.
No one can get inside your mind and make a choice that you will be 100% happy with.

Pick one path, and go with it.
Today.

Otherwise, you'll never end...
At around 5k, you would easily be buying the best components either way. However, you would be paying more now. If you are happy with your selection, then keep it. Returning it would be a hassle imo.

Maybe there could be some changes to your list for the better? What is the list?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
The situation is that although I bought a MBP almost 10 year ago, I only used it for about four years as my workplace bought me the latest computers for work. Now in between jobs so I am on my own. I may use Nvidia GPU for CUDA computations but Apple has stopped using Nvidia GPU in their laptop. I also cannot find a suitable laptop from other manufacturers as Nvidia GPU 10x0 equipped laptops are heavy and have thermal issues. Prefer to have a laptop of no more than 1.5 kg. After spending over 5K, I feel bad as I may also need to spend about 2K on a laptop so I don't have to stay home all the time with old parent, get isolated and feel kind of depressed. So totally I may spend around 7.5K on computers and may not be happy about working at home. I also need to buy other expensive equipment to do some work while looking for a new job. If I want to return my computer case, need to do it in three days. For other items, I have 3-4 weeks to return. I guess in this case, I will have to pay for all the shipping fees back.

Originally planned to buy a 7900X.
CPU: 8700K
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
GPU: EVGA Nvidia 1080Ti (heard the rumors that a new one may be released in the summer. return period will expire by then)
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-A
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
RAM: Trident Z 3200C14 (16GBx4)
Case: Be Quiet Dark Base PRO 900 (White special edition). After I bought it, it became out of stock.

I only see memory price increasing rather than decreasing.

Actually a really good build. Solid choices.

For the Job, I really cannot advise much. I would recommend you hold off spending so much especially if it is a big chunk of your savings and you do not have a sustained income yet. This can always wait. Perhaps, if you want, you can drop the PC idea for now and just get a laptop to allow for mobility and because it is cheaper.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
The good build was made under the recommendations of forum users here. Why some article writers keep saying that GPU and memory prices are dropping? This is not certainly the case in Newegg and Amazon.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
When the new GPUs come, will those miners buy most of them again? I have not opened my 1080Ti box yet as my motherboard (Asus Prime Z370-A) has just arrived. Is it a good idea to return it within the return period and wait for the new card? Has the month of new release been fixed? It keeps getting postponed.

Doubt it. Miners are slowly moving away from GPU's because Cryptos are using a different form of technology now, so other devices exist which would be more profitable.

Release is rumored for July, but no actual confirmation is out.

Your PC is very good, it will last. If you want to return, go ahead, but it will be a bit of a hassle.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I needed a powerful workstation urgently to do CUDA computation but due to an unexpected event, it is not so urgently needed. The Macbook Pro 2018 is rumored for first week of June. I don't know if Apple will release a better MBP or continue to make it worse. I have not opened the parts to build the PC yet. 1080Ti and the case have return period before MBP's rumored announcement. Newegg may give me a hard time to return the G.Skill RAM.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I was under stress that some parts were in back order and prices kept increasing. For example, Corsair A1600i PSU and the GPU. I also needed a powerful machine urgently to get some computationally intensive work done. Now the situation has changed externally beyond my control and it might be better to buy a high-end laptop than a high-end desktop (with lots of RAM and GPU) + an average laptop as a portable machine and external client. Still considering these two options as high-end laptops are heavy and get hot easily. What suggestion do you have now?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Suggestions on what to do with the parts I bought. Build a good desktop and buy an average large screen laptop or just return the parts and buy again when I need a powerful desktop. I guess I could keep the Dark Base Pro case Limited Edition as it is no longer available locally. All stock gone. The PSU is kind of heavy and may cost a lot of shipping cost to return. As the Z370 Prime-A has internal video chip, perhaps return the 1080Ti and wait for the next version?

USAFRet

Titan

You're in Analysis Paralysis mode.

Too many choices, new upcoming choices, and rapidly changing prices.
No one can get inside your mind and make a choice that you will be 100% happy with.

Pick one path, and go with it.
Today.

Otherwise, you'll never end up with anything.

Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks for pointing this out. Given that I have spent days and nights for the past few weeks to find the best components and the situation you mentioned, I decided to go ahead and build the desktop. I decided to return the high-end GPU and the NVME SSD until I need the power.

Is the video chip in the Prime Z370-A sufficient enough for productivity use (no gaming but youtube video watching) with a 4K monitor?

bignastyid

Titan
There is no igpu on that motherboard. The igpu is part of the CPU. The motherboard only houses the video ports. That said the UHD 630 in the 8th gen CPUs is plenty for productivity and a 4k monitor. The igpu on my 8700k drives my 4k TV that I use as a 3rd monitor.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

What do I need in order to drive 4K display @ 60Hz with sound? According to the specifications, it looks like the computer can only drive 4K@60Hz if I use DisplayPort. Am I correct? What if I use a 4K TV that has only HDMI ports? What will I need to run it at 60Hz?

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-Z370-A/specifications/

s2kdarren

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017

you would need a 2.0 HDMI port on the motherboard.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

The specs does not seem to indicate if it is 2.0 or not.