Question Are constant memory clock mhz fluctuations safe ?

Apr 21, 2022
Hello,

I have an RTX 3080, and for some games that are not really heavy on the GPU, my memory clock can fluctuate constantly (like every second) between 2 memory clock frequencies, by example 5001 mhz and 9502 mhz, or between 810 mhz and 5001 mhz (frequencies reported using MSI Afterburner).

Can this harm the card in the long term? Should I better set those games to "Prefer maximum performance" in the Nvidia Control Panel to avoid those constant fluctuations? I am less worried for the Core clock because the jumps are much smaller than the memory clock, which only has like 4 frequencies possible.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Apr 21, 2022
That's how it's designed. It's fine.

Thank you for your answer. So you confirm that having the memory clock doing this is perfectly safe?
w8KhZup.jpeg

the core clock is much more stable:
RIx7kjH.jpg

Thank you.

Apr 21, 2022
Do you think a driver error could result in this behaviour? To note that my memory clock only goes to 9502 when my Core clock is higher than about 1600mhz. If my core clock stays between 400 mhz and 1590 mhz, my memory clock will be perfectly stable at 5001 mhz, even during long gaming sessions (5h+). In the same way, if my core clock stays above 1600 mhz, my memory clock will be perfectly stable at 9502 mhz.

I have no idea what could be the symptoms of a corrupted driver. To install the one I am using actually, I used the "Perform a clean install" option with the Nvidia driver's installer.