Are CRT's ok with new vid cards?

dude_here

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Looking to build a new system (haven't done it in years) and have two 2 year old 17in. CRT's that work fine. My question is do I need to get an LCD or will my CRT's work ok with the newer tech in video boards atleast for a while? Not the biggest gamer, but do play some, and probably get a few new ones once the system is built. Current system that is still alive is old- Athlon XP 2100+ and 256 AGP card soon to be my sons' PC.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Yes it will be fine.
Some video cards now only have a digital outlput, but they generally come with an adapter for regular VGA connection. If not, you can buy one for 10-20$.

realzeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Aren't those flat screen plasma's a lot better? They last forever, use a lot less electricity, and are a lot clearer.

Nope, nope, yes and definetely NO respectively. Actually, CRTs are much superior to LCDs image quality wise. And you must mean LCD TFTs, there are no plasma computer monitors.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Aren't those flat screen plasma's a lot better? They last forever, use a lot less electricity, and are a lot clearer.

Nope, nope, yes and definetely NO respectively. Actually, CRTs are much superior to LCDs image quality wise. And you must mean LCD TFTs, there are no plasma computer monitors.

Well there are plasma hdtv's yhat you can use for a monitor

these are small enough to use as desktop monitors and tv tuner in one

My friend had a flat panel something, he said it was plasma, but i know it was the clearest thing i have seen.

realzeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
My friend had a flat panel something, he said it was plasma, but i know it was the clearest thing i have seen.

I guess you have never seen an F series Trinitron then...

I haven't seem much tbh.

Ten points for honesty to you sir. Just take the word of people like KevinAr18 and myself that have seen a few monitors in our times and know that a good quality CRT is insuperable by any TFT image quality wise.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006

I guess you have never seen an F series Trinitron then...

I haven't seem much tbh.

Ten points for honesty to you sir. Just take the word of people like KevinAr18 and myself that have seen a few monitors in our times and know that a good quality CRT is insuperable by any TFT image quality wise.

What qualities would you look for in a flat panel (power saving of coarse)

realzeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
It depends on what you want it for mate. If you are a grapics designer then you need a wide gamut, wide viewing angles, 20+ inch monitor with either MVA or IPS panels. These are the expensive types. If you are a regular user and can pocket the extra cost you should go for the afforementioned panels also (if you are a gamer prefer an MVA one as it offers faster response times). The IPS panel though is regarded as the best overall. Finally, there are the TN panels, which are the cheappest. TNs are highly rated by gamers though as they are very fast and affordable. They are below their more expensive counterparts in everything else though.

PS: Factors such as contrast ratios, brighntess levels and latency times can be missleading, that's why I did not mention them. For example LG claims an astonishing 3000:1 dynamic contrast for its TN panels. It forgets to mention though that 3000:1 corresponds to around 700:1 static, the measurement that most manufacturers use. Usually, the higher the price the better the monitor. Not always though...