Question Midi device frequently disconnects and shows as 'not recognised' on windows, but works fine on linux?

JamesC01

Commendable
Mar 7, 2022
I have a launchpad mk2 midi controller, and the usb port on it is slightly inconsistent. If I wiggle it, it will disconnect for a moment. On windows, this causes a complete disconnect, and when I reconnect, windows says it's 'not recognised', and device manager shows 'device descriptor request failed'. To get it to work, I need to disconnect and reconnect the device a bunch of times until it reconnects again, and then even the slightest bump will repeat the cycle over and over again. I tested it on my chromebook, though, and it works fine for the most part. When I plug it in, it connects perfectly fine, and when I wiggle the cable, while it might disconnect for a second and leave a hanging midi note, it reconnects fine once I stop wiggling the cable, pretty much instantly.

Why is this? Does linux have more tolerance for usb devices disconnecting for a moment, whereas windows treats any disconnect, even the slightest fraction of a second as a full disconnection? Is there anything I can do about this?