Are Dell XPS 13 and HP Spectre 13 laptops solid performers?

Jul 19, 2019
I am looking to upgrade my Lattitude E7440. It still does all the things I need so I am not in a hurry. Since I am retired, I am not looking for a workhorse business laptop and I am not a gamer. Browsing online and using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook for personal use occupy most of my online time. My budget is around $1,000.

Looking around online I keep seeing high marks for the Dell XPS 13 and the HP Spectre x360 . After talking to two computer repair shops, they both thought the XPS 13 and the Spectre x360 fell short on reliability. Both shops mentioned they had replaced a number of motherboards in the XPS and one shop included the Spectre x360 as also having motherboard problems. One shop mentioned 4K touchscreens in a super thin 13 inch laptop can lead to problems. They thought 1080P screens in a 13 inch laptop perform just about as good as 4K touchscreens with fewer problems.

So I ask you experts:
  1. Do you agree with the repair shops about the reliability of the Dell XPS 13 and/or the HP Spectre x360?
  2. Which laptop in your opinion is the better laptop? and
  3. How long can I expect a Dell XPS 13 or a HP Spectre x360 to function trouble free?

Any comments, opinions and laptop suggestions are appreciated. I am placing this on a couple of computer forums.

If you want an ultrabook that's reliable just to do productivity and internet based stuff why not either go for a cheap(er) Chromebook or the king of thin and lights the MacBook Air?

For that price range my suggestions would be the LG Gram, Surface Laptop 2, PixelBook and MacBook Air.