Are Intel joking re: i3 pricing?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AMW1011

Distinguished
With the clarkdale there is a noticeable difference from 4Ghz to 4.6

Common

no-bullshit.jpg

I'm talking not looking at your encoding performance under a microscope, but for everyday tasks.

A lot of sites have said 3.6 is fast enough, and the differences are mostly minimal, so the Ghz race is over, its all MT/MC now, and HT is weaker than real cores.
Thats AMDs mext big "thing", as they have more dedicated FF HW in their implementation of HT.
Im sure they arent doing this to spend more money, and I commend Intel for doing what theyre currently doing, as the competitions has nothing like this.
But more cores are better

G

Can someone explain to me what "Crap Performance" is anyway? I think everyone here needs to take a step back and realize what the Clarkdale's are. They are the best dual core ever produced.

You failed to grasp the real issue here Psycho.

It's a dual core, therefore nobody cares. The X4 620 killed off dual cores to the point of them being utterly pointless. What's more, you'll see $50 quads from AMD before the year is out.

Clarkdale has no place in the tech world, it's at least a year too late.

G

http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=7488&pageid=6451

X3 720 beats the i3 530 in just about everything that matters at the same clock speed or lower. 3 cores > 2 cores with HT.

http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=7475&pageid=6387

X4 620 beats the i3 530 in just about everything except gaming which is about even. 4 cores with no L3 cache > 2 cores with HT.

The Clarkdales can't even beat year old X3's - even with a newer 32nm process. So much for the triple cripple.

That is just horribly fail no matter how you look at it. Dual cores are dead and these should never have been released. It is your civic duty to convince everybody you know that they should never, ever buy one of these terrible cpu's.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

I found this a little awkward to read; but I get the drift. spintel's high prices are to preserve the illusion that they are better products - since idiot consumers would expect to pay more for the best. And actually believe they are getting that.

This is amusing to say the least. The blind consumer, seduced by marketing, benchmarketing, and the hype of paid peers (shills) that infest this website lead many astray - "o you gotta have the best".

But they have unbridled influence, which they apparently acquired through antitrust tactics. Now they wield a dark big stick in some unseen ways; and yet it has become obvious. Indeed, this is why anyone recommending AMD products is insulted and discredited and flamed and harassed for even suggesting a smarter choice. And if it's not flaming, it's placation - "o those other cpu's are pretty nice; but not quite as fast, and the Athlon II's are cheap". (or similar statements). (and what, the PhenomII's don't get mentioned?, or don't exist? or are too expensive?)

The spinners have taught me well. The only thing unclear at this point is who actually controls this website; since it is now even more obvious that this is a marketing trap, even though it is usually referred to as a mere spintel biased site.

And the spinners will flame about such a "conspiracy theory". Strangely, that might be the most truth they speak. It's bigger than that.

The pieces of the puzzle that are fitting together also describe why or how some of these creeps could actually support spintel in the face of overwhelming evidence stacked up in the FTC and New York cases.

If you are new to all this; beware; you are being led astray by an unscrupulous monopoly that is not satisfied with uncontrolled market share, that was bought through an illegal, now-highly-publicized conspiracy during the last decade. Now they don't care; but aim to cash in on it before they are stopped by the governments of this planet - yes, it's on a global scale. It's a money funnel. And they want your pennies too. A billion pennies is a lot of loose change. And, globally they have already been busted - and fined pennies on the profit-dollar, which is an incentive to continue. How big is the conspiracy?

There is a thread right now in which a poster seeks recommendations for cpu for a high dollar system. It is revealed he knows little about pc tek. He is being bombarded with a plethora of high end spintel junk. He seems to think that if he spends a ton of money that he will have the best system.

PC's are largely made up of peripheral parts. At the core there is a mobo that supports addins - namely a cpu and ram - that's it. Everything else is interchangeable regardless of whether it's a socalled AMD system or a 'brand x' system.

At the high end, it comes down to GPU grafx cards doing most of the processing, esp. in games. The remainder of the data processed is done by cpu. The differences in cpu-brand performance is not sufficiently great to seriously state that one or the other system is significantly superior to the other - if the grafx load is easily handled by the best grafx cards. The cpu is essentially reduced to background maintenance while a program, such as a game, is running. Arguably, there is more to it than that; you can talk a lot of tekky talk; but the differences in actual cpu performance will still be unnoticeable during game play, or other intensive grafx apps. The cpu just doesn't matter.

This is especially true at high resolutions - and yet the lame benchmarketing runs reviews and tests at low resolutions - which brings a barely faster cpu into play - and this promotes the socalled superior cpu's; and for that minor difference, that normally won't even be noticed, you pay hundreds of dollars. Welcome to some of the basics of the deception of benchmarketing.

The dominance of the cpu in pc's is over - people have preferences for performance that focuses mainly on graphics throughput. It is already well known to many that you really need a good grafx; and whatever cpu that will run the game. So what's the grand illusion about spintel's supposedly superior cpu's - and note also that spintel really doesn't have a grafx solution - except their lame onboard junk - and their competition already has them beat in even that area.

spintel has nothing we need. unless you need abuse. some people are like that, it seems. and too many of the local shills are happy to dish it out. you want more of that? it available.

(and now, back to more cheap-shot comments) and some sincere ones that get shouted down. and some personal insults and mockery. and this is standard fare here. good luck. if you know what it is, it can't hurt you. they won't stop, until they are stopped. you don't have to support it. it's like the global version of 'don't feed the trolls'. just watch the big picture. after all, it's about grafx, not biased "processing" of individuals. (really)

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
I agree. Nvidia fanboys are like...a minor mystery but I at least get that Nvidia were a great company at one time.

Intel fanboys, especially those who blindly continue to follow intel through all the recent bad news are a major mystery to me. Rather than just do the right thing, which is abandon this evil corporation, they continue to support and make excuses for intels behaviour over and over.

Had AMD released these Clarkdales they would be getting PANNED for crap performance and garbage IGP. And rightly so because that is exactly what these Clarkdales offer at a high price.

Most people just write them off as paid shills, or similar.

What is really noticeable is the gang tactics.

If you say something like =

>>> AMD is demonstrably the superior product, and it is no coincidence that they are the smarter choice, and this results through their focus on collaboration, as stated in AMD's Mission Statement.<<<

= then what follow is some insult, placative statement, cheap shot, etc. If you don't cave in and beg for mercy, another paid shill will team with the first and attack you, or state something bs about wonderful spintel junk product that is superior to sliced bread, etc bla bla bla.

It's common everywhere - but really funny (sad) (who cares) in a scenario where someone wants help to buy a new cpu or system. Then it's a war zone to seduce the potential customer, and trash any suggestion that that horrible inferior AMD stuff be even considered. This happens repeatedly.
Also, I have been at the core of a discussion thread crushing some spintel fanboy; and suddenly there's 19 of them distracting anyone's attention from the battle that spintel is losing - they don't want people to hear that.

It has become obvious. My previous post is about that too. obviously.

sigh

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

This does not consider the spintel shills factor.
the cost/performance gets translated as 'performance' and with lame benchmarketing they demonstrate that cost is irrelevent and spintel performance is the only thing that matters - and this is too true in a serious game box where graphics is what matters, and a few percent of cpu performance worse, better, same - really is insignificant.

That point is totally overlooked as the paid shills lead customers into spending hundreds more cos they think they are getting superioe system by spending more money.

There's common sense rules of thumb for us; and then there's marketing going on here right in the think of it all - this is hilarious - it's like walking into a commissioned sales store.

of course, that's a conspiracy too, huh.
it's obvious to me. I have seen it too many times.

but also prices are probably dictated by the cost of legal defence, antitrust rebates, billion dollar fines, and other SOCIALLY ACCEPTED tactics - right?

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

you mean, you need to reset his mindset, to ensure that everyone is consistent in their belied that spintel is always always o so great.

it's more of the same, always always

you won't say it QUITE like I do.

so it's pricey, the grafx suk, and we should support this waste of sand? cos you say so? and antitrust is just plain good business, right?
o, you didn't QUITE say that, did you. in this thread - where was that?

randomizer

Champion
I've been going through common benchmarks and seeing what compiler they use. It seems the most common is Microsoft's compiler, so I don't think many of these sites can be accused of using software butchered by Intel's compiler in order to do their reviews. Games probably won't be affected much by the compiler anyway, but other software would.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Can someone explain to me what "Crap Performance" is anyway? I think everyone here needs to take a step back and realize what the Clarkdale's are. They are the best dual core ever produced. I sit and laugh at everyone in this thread saying how they can get a Phenom II X3 or X4 for that price. Do you know why amd prices there chips so low? Because's Amd's baddest and most performing chips get beat down by the I5 and I7 lineup. They CANT price them close to intel's quads because they're garbage.

For Example :

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=102&p2=109

Amd loses in almost EVERY test to the 750 and the 750 doesn't even have HT. Even with an almost 800mhz advantage it gets its ass kicked. What happens when you go clock for clock? It loses even harder.

Want more?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=102&p2=108

Ha! I don't even want to hear the excuses. "Intel is Evil", HT is Cheating", "Turbo is Wrong". Amd fanboi's are just pissed that amd can't make chips that aren't absolute crap compared to intel's. That's why you compare quad core's and X3's to intel's dual core's. Because those are the only chips amd has a chance at beating.

Back to the clarkdale's. Intel crippled these chips because if they had anything like the 750's memory controller they would be putting a hurt on the 750 sales. These chips overclock like crazy and shouldn't be overlooked. I can't wait for Sandy Bridge now.

Air Results. Just wait till i get my W/C Loop installed. 5.2Ghz easily

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/2MCHBoost/48.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=936054

AMD fans pissed? really?

I am happy with AMD.

But what is disturbing and should be blatantly obvious to the paid and unpaid spintel shills that spew endless propaganda to make sure the mindset is preserved is:
that apparently criminal activity to establish dominant marketshare is socially acceptable, or that it is a good thing, or that it just doesn't matter - and we should all support spintel regardless of the publicized information.

And the talk of performance is largely in ref. to paid shill sites, where benchees are engineered, rigged also.

Anything but truth. Slurs and insults and misleading assumptions are preferred. Suppress the truth to preserve the monopoly or justify almost anything. Preserve the illusions of superiority - a decade old practice that is now entrenched in this website.

but you don't want anyone to think like that. so you spew.

and you insult anyone who would suggest it.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

What is wrong with the FTC crying foul? Is that a problem?

And you better post more because some people are still buying AMD despite that it's apparently socially unacceptable to paid spintel shills who promote antitrust.

what's wrong with this picture? let's see, spintel gets all the money, and still wants more, even tho their foundation is crime. but that's just plain ok, huh?

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

No.
do you mean you are paid to promote spintel by any twisted logic?

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

X3 720 beats the i3 530 in just about everything that matters at the same clock speed or lower. 3 cores > 2 cores with HT.

X4 620 beats the i3 530 in just about everything except gaming which is about even. 4 cores with no L3 cache > 2 cores with HT.

The Clarkdales can't even beat year old X3's - even with a newer 32nm process. So much for the triple cripple.

That is just horribly fail no matter how you look at it. Dual cores are dead and these should never have been released. It is your civic duty to convince everybody you know that they should never, ever buy one of these terrible cpu's.

and so this is live proof that spintel doesn't care what they sell you as long as nobody ever again supports AMD

- gee that's a familiar idea.

- anybody familiar with similar tactics employed about 10 years ago? but that doesn't matter here - this place is special?

G

What is blatantly obvious, and yet it is not. Is the modern everyday computer used by the seemingly noob under the gave of the evil empires and yet not realizing their herding in with the shills. For they could own a box that appears white, but inside driven by green and with a mission statement to just make what should be the best product. But on this board, lies a chip which is not as important as the graphics which now everyone is obviously totally aware the amd combo is ultimately superior. Now I have exhausted the use of adjectives and this lame spell checker to those take note with personal insults and gang attacks often with the paid spinner lost republic sites as source material for their new religion.
Now this is part 1 of 40 of my authored rants on society that makes me what I am.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

lol fanboys and noobs gotta love em, the 720 beats the i3 530 at stock speeds and multi tasks much better,the 550 is a great over clocker and for the price u get a nice deal, not everyone has a micro center near them and i have not seen those prices for cla\rkdale anywhere except that silly link of yours, epic fail.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
What is blatantly obvious, and yet it is not. Is the modern everyday computer used by the seemingly noob under the gave of the evil empires and yet not realizing their herding in with the shills. For they could own a box that appears white, but inside driven by green and with a mission statement to just make what should be the best product. But on this board, lies a chip which is not as important as the graphics which now everyone is obviously totally aware the amd combo is ultimately superior. Now I have exhausted the use of adjectives and this lame spell checker to those take note with personal insults and gang attacks often with the paid spinner lost republic sites as source material for their new religion.
Now this is part 1 of 40 of my authored rants on society that makes me what I am.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

notty22

Distinguished

Speaking of noob fail, learn to read. Microcenter will ship it to you, you don't have to have your mother drive you there. Whats nice about the 550, that you can still buy the inferior product and call it nice ? Oh you haven't seen that price , so its not real, lol great logic and will take you far, lol *facepalm*

Here is another great deal I5 650----149.99 shipped.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0325942
Yes its 195.00 at Newegg, but thats not the end all, especially when they want `155.00
for the amd 720 right now. Old tech , lol

Upendra09

Distinguished

of course when you compare a 3 person team of cooks to a two person team of cooks i wonder who will be done the same dish first? ;)

if you compare x3s to the i3 then of course they are going to prevail why don't you compare the Regors smart one?

I can't believe it he made a new account so that he could give himself the illusion he has one more AMD fandoy in this thread so what is the score now 20:3
20 being the supposed intel fanboys, cuz we don't idolize AMD for everything it does and we say that one intel processor is better than the AMD counterpart and because we are on THG and not on AMD's side

G

http://en.inpai.com.cn/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=7475&pageid=6388

So the i3 only has half the cores, but hey they have the awesome SMT right so 4 cores 4 thread vs 2 cores 4 threads.

And the clock speed is 0.33ghz more on the i3.

And the i3 has almost double the amount of cache.

And the i3 is based on a superior 32nm process.

Why is the number of cores being used as an excuse when the i3 has all of those advantages?

None of it matters, all that matters is that the AMD makes much better use of the 300 million or so transistors each has. No gimmicky SMT, just real cores. No huge amount of cache that only barely delivers in games - but even at that they are still about even because more *real* cores still clearly count.

What was their respective prices?

$99 Athlon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103706&cm_re=x4_athlon-_-19-103-706-_-Product

$125 i3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115222&Tpk=i3%20530

-----

This is so one sided it's almost embarrassing, and I havent even started on the platform cost. Seriously AMD should raise prices on the X4 to about $150 or so, make this a fair competition. All it would take for intel to lose billions would be a mass outbreak of common sense and waking up by the general population. That is how shaky a peg their jackets are on. If people just woke up and smelled the coffee intel would go bankrupt in a matter of weeks because nobody with a brain would want anything to do with Clarkdale.

demonnn

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
like it or not , intel still dominates even with high prices. I'm not familiar with the i3's performance , but why are you comparing a i3 to a quad core? last time I heard it beats the e8600

G

Ok let me caps and bold it, hell I'll underline it too.

THE QUAD CORE IS CHEAPER AND FASTER.

Now armed with that amazing life-changing knowledge, tell me why you would want an i3...or why you even care that it's faster than an E8600.

Sorry guys, cant have it both ways. As SMT makes the real difference between AMDs top and Intels top where SMT is effective, and yes, they do have slightly higher IPC, but not alot. If you claim that SMT makes the huge difference, when confronted by real cores, it fails, and then to cry foul just doesnt work, period, not if prices are the same, again, period.
Now, is this taking away from SMT? No, but at a given point, where we see SMT going up against real cores, at the same price point, it comes down to perf, nothing more, or, SMT doesnt count when evaluating them with same core count. 1 way or the other, as you cant have both.
My question is, hypothetically, what happens when AMD makes tripples with their version of SMT and they absolutely kill duals? Will this then be a "you cant use AMDs SMT" thing here?
Ive never said having SMT being a better outcome for those that use it as their primary reason for opting for certain cpus, my only problem and disappointment is the tripple cripple the walletbook memory channel/server thing, which is now argued about memory size as a pro, which only then makes this even that more finite, and makes for an even smaller user base as an excuse, andf then turns to the negative aspects of buying large mem sticks as being too expensive?
If youre happy with your rig, be happy, and dont let people make you question your buy. If you spread SMT this, or core that or whatever to undecided users, just make sure your thoughts are sound, as we all know, more cores are better, not everyone needs tri channel etc, and theres cheaper better solutuions out there, from both companies

AMW1011

Distinguished

Lol this makes me laugh:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103652&cm_re=720-_-19-103-652-_-Product

So much for $155 for the 720...

Not to mention the Athlon II X4 620 for $99.99 that totally outperforms the i3 530.

Now lets compare motherboards.

The cheapest is $85:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280%201070549182&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

The cheapest decent AM3 is $70:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138167

Now what do you get? Well if you go the AMD route you get a faster processor, a faster IGP, and you spend less, especially when the microcenter deal ends.