[SOLVED] Are jewel cases/dvd cases the best way to store bd-r's?

pinkrei

Prominent
Sep 9, 2018
this question isn't about hard drives, but hopefully "storage" is still the right section for this question. I'm looking to backup my data to bd-r's for archival, and I'm trying to find the safest way to physically store them, with the intention to avoid scratches or other wear and tear. I've seen conflicting information all over the web, so I'm looking for some clarification that jewel cases or other cases where the disc is affixed to a circular hub are the best way to store discs, as opposed to say, disc sleeves or binders. OR if there's some other method of storing them that's better.

Solution
If your environment is relatively clean, I would put them in those white felt binders. That way you can store them safely and relatively compact, which is important for next part: Get a fire-resistant safe, put it in a cool and shaded place and store them there. Doesn't have to be a particular secure safe, but get one that's certified for a decent fire intensity. They are not particularly expensive. If a safe is not an option, then find a cool, dry and shaded location that wont go up in flames right away/in smaller fires.

I backup my families pictures etc. this way(in addition to my file/media server in another physical location).

EDIT: This assumes that your backups are purely backups, and the only time they are handled are when they...
Feb 27, 2020
If your environment is relatively clean, I would put them in those white felt binders. That way you can store them safely and relatively compact, which is important for next part: Get a fire-resistant safe, put it in a cool and shaded place and store them there. Doesn't have to be a particular secure safe, but get one that's certified for a decent fire intensity. They are not particularly expensive. If a safe is not an option, then find a cool, dry and shaded location that wont go up in flames right away/in smaller fires.

I backup my families pictures etc. this way(in addition to my file/media server in another physical location).

EDIT: This assumes that your backups are purely backups, and the only time they are handled are when they are created(or possibly accessed in case of data loss).

Solution

pinkrei

Prominent
Sep 9, 2018

EDIT: This assumes that your backups are purely backups, and the only time they are handled are when they are created(or possibly accessed in case of data loss).
Yes, these ideally wouldn't be accessed unless the hard drive with the working copies fails. By felt do you mean this kind of material:
https://www.amazon.com/2-Disc-Fabri...ywords=2+Ring+Cd+Binder&qid=1582963509&sr=8-5
or something else?

Last edited: