Question Are M.2 to mini pci-e adapters legit ?

drumandbassfreak

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
I recently bought a VivoBook and got my mind blown of how fast NVMe drives were, unfortunately the laptop is too "brittle" for me and cant be my daily driver as I know how I am and I surely will have an accident with it, so I went back to my old Latitude e6530. I have 2 unused PCI-E slots, i stumbled to some adapters on AliExpress which let you plug m2/NVMe SSDs into those bays, but haven't found anything to draw a conclussion yet asked a friend of mine and he says there should be no issue. But since is a storage device, the BIOS must have support for it, he said no but as installing it would require a little DIY work on the chassis of the laptop, I need to know before starting the project, let alone investing on this type of SSD

if bios doesnt supports nvme, then you wont be able to boot from it, but windows has nvme support built in, so drive would work inside windows, just as a data storage, no way to install windows on it

no idea what drive size would fit (if any) without modification, but smallest m2 nvme is 2230 (22mm wide, 30mm length),https://www.amazon.com/m-2-2230-ssd/s?k=m.2+2230+ssd , so maybe that one would fit without modding? as it is smaller than m-pcie cards usualy used on laptops

i stumbled to some adapters on AliExpress which let you plug m2/NVMe SSDs into those bays, but haven't found anything to draw a conclussion yet
Can you provide link to the particular adapter?
M.2 to mini-pcie adapters are usually meant for M.2 key E cards like wifi modules.
NVME drives use M.2 key M. Can not be installed into M.2 key E slot.

https://www.delock.de/infothek/M.2/M.2_e.html

I recently bought a VivoBook and got my mind blown of how fast NVMe drives were, unfortunately the laptop is too "brittle" for me and cant be my daily driver as I know how I am and I surely will have an accident with it, so I went back to my old Latitude e6530. I have 2 unused PCI-E slots, i stumbled to some adapters on AliExpress which let you plug m2/NVMe SSDs into those bays, but haven't found anything to draw a conclussion yet asked a friend of mine and he says there should be no issue. But since is a storage device, the BIOS must have support for it, he said no but as installing it would require a little DIY work on the chassis of the laptop, I need to know before starting the project, let alone investing on this type of SSD
If your laptop is using a hdd it would be much easier to swap it to a ssd.

drumandbassfreak

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016