Are SSD'S worth it?

Billyfish3

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I currently have a 1tb western digital blue hard drive for my new build and everything loads up quite quick as there is not much on the pc. Loads of people have been telling be to get an ssd and I have been looking at the Samsung evo one and was wondering if they are as good as people say they are.
Thanks

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
That's something you have to feel yourself. If the other people telling you that SSDs are worth but you still hesitate, how will our opinions will change that - all it is is more people telling you to get one.

endeavour37a

Honorable
They are about the best upgrade you can make for overall system performance I think. The 256Gb drives are getting pretty cheap, about the best bang for the buck are the Crucial MX100 series, good solid drive, not the fastest. You can put the OS, some apps and games you play often on it, use the HDD for storage and apps you don't use much..

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Occasionally SSDs can cause issues (the cheap ones) beyond that... they're all positive and once you get used to one everything else feels slow. That said, if you have a good HDD you can manage just fine, but if you consider yourself a heavy computer user don't hesitate and start looking to buy one today.

Note that file recovery from a SSD is different from a HDD, if the SSD fails for whatever reason there is little chance of getting your data back so keep a backup if the data is important. The controller is tied right into the flash so even if the flash is fine you would need professional help for recovery if the controller died.

USAFRet

Titan
SSD's are great. Makes the whole system faster. And they are proving to be more reliable than HDD's.
Less noise, vibration, power...
I would not build another main use PC without one.

And in the rare event of a dead drive? That's what backups are for.

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

Great point on the backups but I don't know anyone that actually has a good backup... one of the few bonuses that I know of from the "cloud" marketing BS is easy online backup so that's nice but most people still don't do it. So I always recommend backups for important data whenever I recommend a SSD.

Two thumbs up for people that keep up with their backups!

USAFRet

Titan

Once a month image of the C drive, daily automated backups of personal data.

LordConrad

Distinguished

Agreed. SSDs are definitely worth it. My current favorite is the Samsung 850 EVO as it has the best combination of Price, Performance, and Endurance. It's one of the only consumer SSDs to come with a 5-year warranty.