Discussion Are the 2 x 6+2 pin to 12 pin power adapters bundled with 3080's safe to use with older PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
So the new 3080s are being bundled with a 2 X 6+2 pin to 12 pin adapter. Are those safe to use or "if a power supply does not come with the correct connections for your graphics card it is NOT suitable for use with that graphics card. "?

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I have seen multiple moderators on tom's Hardware say "if a power supply does not come with the correct connections for your graphics card it is NOT suitable for use with that graphics card. " and "if your current PSU lacks the necessary connector for your system, it shouldn't be inside your system. ", so do you really think that is true?

I have seen multiple moderators on tom's Hardware say "if a power supply does not come with the correct connections for your graphics card it is NOT suitable for use with that graphics card. " and "if your current PSU lacks the necessary connector for your system, it shouldn't be inside your system. ", so do you really think that is true?
Absolutely. Everything in the system depends on the power supply. It's the one thing you can NOT cheap out on, even if that means changing your upgrade plans to a lower GPU in order to replace the power supply.

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Absolutely. Everything in the system depends on the power supply. It's the one thing you can NOT cheap out on, even if that means changing your upgrade plans to a lower GPU in order to replace the power supply.
So if you buy a new 3080, regardless if you have a 1500W power supply, you need to get a new one that has the 12 pin connector if yours doesn't have it? Why would the manufacturer bundle the cable then?

Edit: Take me for example. I have a EVGA 850 GQ 850W Gold rated PS, 5V @ 24A, 3.3V @ 24A, 12V @ 70.8A. Currently I have a EVGA 2080ti hybrid. I was thinking of selling it on ebay and getting the 3080. Do you really think I need a new power supply?

Last edited:
So if you buy a new 3080, regardless if you have a 1500W power supply, you need to get a new one that has the 12 pin connector if yours doesn't have it? Why would the manufacturer bundle the cable then?
You don't have to get the 12 pin. Only the Nvidia Founders edition cards use them and they come with the video card. All the other brands use two or three 8-pin PCIe cables depending on which 3080 you buy. Which 3080 are you looking at?

Edit: Take me for example. I have a EVGA 850 GQ 850W Gold rated PS, 5V @ 24A, 3.3V @ 24A, 12V @ 70.8A. Currently I have a EVGA 2080ti hybrid. I was thinking of selling it on ebay and getting the 3080. Do you really think I need a new power supply?
You're good to go. The 850 GQ has more PCIe cables than you need. No worries. It would have been easier if you just said which PSU you had in the first place. Cheers.

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
You don't have to get the 12 pin. Only the Nvidia Founders edition cards use them and they come with the video card.
Thank you for responding. I started this as a discussion thread, not a question thread. So you agree that the bundled adapters that come with video cards to make them compatible with older generations of power supplies are safe to use as long as your power supply has the appropriate amount of voltage on the 12V rail?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thank you for responding. I started this as a discussion thread, not a question thread. So you agree that the bundled adapters that come with video cards to make them compatible with older generations of power supplies are safe to use as long as your power supply has the appropriate amount of voltage on the 12V rail?

There is a massive difference between using an adapter that is specifically for aesthetic reasons (The 12 Pin on the Founders cards is that way for visual purposes only) and using adapters that take a connector and harness rated for 75w and use it to draw 150w. You are trying to justify a completely different application, by attempting to trick the users of this site into agreeing with you.

Because I specifically know you're doing this to antagonize the moderation team, this thread is closed. Keep on this path and you will be posting elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.