Question Are there any advantage in watching 8K or 12K youtube videos on a 4K display?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
By display, I mean both TV and monitor. Due to the 4K limitation of the display, are better images being shown when playing 8K or 12K videos on a 4K display?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
So even there are options to play back at 8K or 12K, in practice the images being shown are like 1440p due to their video compression?

Supposing that we are able to feed the 4K TV with 8K or 12K video images (either via blueray or future uncompression in youtube or whatever that can output real 8K or 12K video images), does the 4K TV produce better looking images or the image quality just capped at 4K?

Note that I use "being shown" in this thread as in addition to the above factor, there are also subjective differences among viewers. So even a 4K TV can truly display 8K or 12K, some people may think there is no difference between watching them vs watching the same video but at lower resolution options.

Here, I am more interested in knowing what actually happens when a 4K display is given 8K or 12K videos.

D

Deleted member 362816

So even there are options to play back at 8K or 12K, in practice the images being shown are like 1440p due to their video compression?

Supposing that we are able to feed the 4K TV with 8K or 12K video images (either via blueray or future uncompression in youtube or whatever that can output real 8K or 12K video images), does the 4K TV produce better looking images or the image quality just capped at 4K?

Note that I use "being shown" in this thread as in addition to the above factor, there are also subjective differences among viewers. So even a 4K TV can truly display 8K or 12K, some people may think there is no difference between watching them vs watching the same video but at lower resolution options.

Here, I am more interested in knowing what actually happens when a 4K display is given 8K or 12K videos.

I am in no way smart enough in this topic to explain anymore then what I said above.