Are there any other image programs besides Acronis & Ghost?

Mel

I used to use Drive Image, it easy and simple and sure. However, I now
have Acronis and it is a p.o.s.

I don't want Ghost. There *has* to be another program that performs this
important function of imaging a drive - and is simple and works.

peter

> I used to use Drive Image, it easy and simple and sure. However, I now
> have Acronis and it is a p.o.s.
>
> I don't want Ghost. There *has* to be another program that performs this
> important function of imaging a drive - and is simple and works.

As with everything answer depends on details:
- source disk support (interface, file system, operating OS)
- target media support (interface, file system)
- operational modes (used/all sectors, skip/include bad data, exclude some
files ...)
- compression efficiency
- performance
- image verification
- image browsing/mounting
- image manipulations (recompile, remove/add data)
- restore features (selected portions, resize file systems ...)
- ease of use
- stability/bugs
- technical support quality
- price
- popularity

None of products I know, excels in every aspect.
All depends what is important to you.

mel@mortana.net wrote:

> I used to use Drive Image, it easy and simple and sure. However, I now
> have Acronis and it is a p.o.s.
>
> I don't want Ghost. There *has* to be another program that performs this
> important function of imaging a drive - and is simple and works.

If you're running Windows XP, then Casper XP is exactly what you want.
i.e. "simple" and "works" - more so than any other package out there.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

<mel@mortana.net> wrote in message

> I used to use Drive Image, it easy and simple and sure.

Why dont you continue to use what you liked to use ?

> However, I now have Acronis and it is a p.o.s.

What dont you like about it ?

> I don't want Ghost.

Yeah, Ghost 9 has some real downsides, both on the
design choices made and the implementation of those.

> There *has* to be another program that performs this
> important function of imaging a drive - and is simple and works.

True Image is both.

There are a few others around too.

> <mel@mortana.net> wrote in message
>
>> I used to use Drive Image, it easy and simple and sure.
>
> Why dont you continue to use what you liked to use ?

It's not availble anymore.

>> However, I now have Acronis and it is a p.o.s.
>
> What dont you like about it ?
>
>> I don't want Ghost.
>
> Yeah, Ghost 9 has some real downsides, both on the
> design choices made and the implementation of those.
>
>> There *has* to be another program that performs this
>> important function of imaging a drive - and is simple and works.
>
> True Image is both.
>
> There are a few others around too.

--

Derek

Derek Baker <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in
message news:eek:YidnVicH-aaeBrfRVnygA@eclipse.net.uk...
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> <mel@mortana.net> wrote

>>> I used to use Drive Image, it easy and simple and sure.

>> Why dont you continue to use what you liked to use ?

> It's not availble anymore.

Why cant you continue to use what you previously used ?

Drive Image is still buyable on ebay.
http://tinyurl.com/cjz7g
Quite cheap too.

>>> However, I now have Acronis and it is a p.o.s.

>> What dont you like about it ?

Why didnt you answer this ?

> Derek Baker <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:eek:YidnVicH-aaeBrfRVnygA@eclipse.net.uk...
>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>>> <mel@mortana.net> wrote

>>> Why dont you continue to use what you liked to use ?
>
>> It's not availble anymore.
>
> Why cant you continue to use what you previously used ?
>
> Drive Image is still buyable on ebay.
> http://tinyurl.com/cjz7g
> Quite cheap too.

>>> What dont you like about it ?
>
> Why didnt you answer this ?

Because I'm not the OP.

>>> Yeah, Ghost 9 has some real downsides, both on the
>>> design choices made and the implementation of those.

>>> True Image is both.
>
>>> There are a few others around too.

--
Derek

Mel

On Mon, 16 May 2005 07:14:12 +0100, Odie Ferrous
<odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:

>mel@mortana.net wrote:
>>
>> I used to use Drive Image, it easy and simple and sure. However, I now
>> have Acronis and it is a p.o.s.
>>
>> I don't want Ghost. There *has* to be another program that performs this
>> important function of imaging a drive - and is simple and works.
>
>If you're running Windows XP, then Casper XP is exactly what you want.
>i.e. "simple" and "works" - more so than any other package out there.
>

>Odie

Thanks for answering. However -

I downloaded Casper XP and found this in the Help file:

"Note: While an external USB or Firewire hard disk may be used for the
backup on a desktop system, Windows is not designed to boot and run
directly from an external device. Consequently, an externally attached
hard disk must be removed from its external USB or Firewire enclosure
and installed as a replacement for the internal hard disk in order to
boot from it."

I take it this means that in the case of a catastrophic Windows failure,
my 2 external Maxtor USB 270Gig drives are worthless for booting when
trying to use my Casper backup of my C: drive.

If the above is correct, it seems I am stuck with the tedious, time
consuming task of using Windows XP Pro's ASR method of backup, or
install another hard disk inside my computer - and I need another hard
disk like my car needs a fifth wheel.

peter

> I downloaded Casper XP and found this in the Help file:
>
> "Note: While an external USB or Firewire hard disk may be used for the
> backup on a desktop system, Windows is not designed to boot and run
> directly from an external device. Consequently, an externally attached
> hard disk must be removed from its external USB or Firewire enclosure
> and installed as a replacement for the internal hard disk in order to
> boot from it."
>
> I take it this means that in the case of a catastrophic Windows failure,
> my 2 external Maxtor USB 270Gig drives are worthless for booting when
> trying to use my Casper backup of my C: drive.
>
> If the above is correct, it seems I am stuck with the tedious, time
> consuming task of using Windows XP Pro's ASR method of backup, or
> install another hard disk inside my computer - and I need another hard
> disk like my car needs a fifth wheel.

Standalone systems can be booted off CD/DVD (or floppies).
Network attached machines can also use PXE to boot.
You can boot to DOS, Linux or WinXP/2K3 (WinPE).
Then restore your image.

What Casper's note probably means, that they do not support
WinPE, or is just plainly wrong.

Mel

On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:15:53 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>> I downloaded Casper XP and found this in the Help file:
>>
>> "Note: While an external USB or Firewire hard disk may be used for the
>> backup on a desktop system, Windows is not designed to boot and run
>> directly from an external device. Consequently, an externally attached
>> hard disk must be removed from its external USB or Firewire enclosure
>> and installed as a replacement for the internal hard disk in order to
>> boot from it."
>>
>> I take it this means that in the case of a catastrophic Windows failure,
>> my 2 external Maxtor USB 270Gig drives are worthless for booting when
>> trying to use my Casper backup of my C: drive.
>>
>> If the above is correct, it seems I am stuck with the tedious, time
>> consuming task of using Windows XP Pro's ASR method of backup, or
>> install another hard disk inside my computer - and I need another hard
>> disk like my car needs a fifth wheel.
>
>Standalone systems can be booted off CD/DVD (or floppies).
>Network attached machines can also use PXE to boot.
>You can boot to DOS, Linux or WinXP/2K3 (WinPE).
>Then restore your image.
>
>What Casper's note probably means, that they do not support
>WinPE, or is just plainly wrong.

Oh, wonderful! Another ridiculous discrepancy by another seemingly
knot-headed company.

Jeesh! I should have stuck with Win 98SE and my singularly dependable
and simple version 2 of Drive Image. However, my wife was always
complaining about the repair costs of the old machine. Now it seems
I'll spend more on trying to find a dependable backup system than I
would have spent on repairing the old 98SE HP machine.

As a total aside, had I known that Dell machines, plus keyboards and et
al, were made in China, I NEVER would have bought from them. Don't ask
me whom I would have bought from. It's just that I'm old enough to
remember the last time we "helped" out another country in Asia by
supplying it with all the steel it needed. We got it all back at Pearl
Harbor in the form of Zeros and bombs.

mel@mortana.net wrote:

> I downloaded Casper XP and found this in the Help file:
>
> "Note: While an external USB or Firewire hard disk may be used for the
> backup on a desktop system, Windows is not designed to boot and run
> directly from an external device. Consequently, an externally attached
> hard disk must be removed from its external USB or Firewire enclosure
> and installed as a replacement for the internal hard disk in order to
> boot from it."
>
> I take it this means that in the case of a catastrophic Windows failure,
> my 2 external Maxtor USB 270Gig drives are worthless for booting when
> trying to use my Casper backup of my C: drive.
>
> If the above is correct, it seems I am stuck with the tedious, time
> consuming task of using Windows XP Pro's ASR method of backup, or
> install another hard disk inside my computer - and I need another hard
> disk like my car needs a fifth wheel.

All that means is that if your internal hard drive fails, you will need
to place the external drive internally and boot from it that way.

All things considered, in the event of a catastrophic Windows failure,
it's a doddle.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Globally Local Data Recovery Experts

Mel

On Tue, 17 May 2005 01:20:26 +0100, Odie Ferrous
<odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:

>mel@mortana.net wrote:
>>
>> I downloaded Casper XP and found this in the Help file:
>>
>> "Note: While an external USB or Firewire hard disk may be used for the
>> backup on a desktop system, Windows is not designed to boot and run
>> directly from an external device. Consequently, an externally attached
>> hard disk must be removed from its external USB or Firewire enclosure
>> and installed as a replacement for the internal hard disk in order to
>> boot from it."
>>
>> I take it this means that in the case of a catastrophic Windows failure,
>> my 2 external Maxtor USB 270Gig drives are worthless for booting when
>> trying to use my Casper backup of my C: drive.
>>
>> If the above is correct, it seems I am stuck with the tedious, time
>> consuming task of using Windows XP Pro's ASR method of backup, or
>> install another hard disk inside my computer - and I need another hard
>> disk like my car needs a fifth wheel.
>
>All that means is that if your internal hard drive fails, you will need
>to place the external drive internally and boot from it that way.
>
>All things considered, in the event of a catastrophic Windows failure,
>it's a doddle.
>

>Odie

With 98SE and Drive Image, when one has a catastrophic failure, you
simply insert the Drive Image startup floppy and then use Drive Image to
choose which image to restore.

Now *that* is what I call simple - not having to change freak'n drives
internally. That's ridiculous. Also, Maxtor's outboard drives are meant
to be *outboard*, not inboard.

I don't believe the silliness of these present day image makers.

The more I read of these idiotic modern programs, the more I am coming
to the conclusion I'm going to be using XP Pro's ASR method. Not fancy.
Not fast. But it seems sure. Too bad it cost me $50 for that Acronis
p.o.s. to learn all this.

peter

> With 98SE and Drive Image, when one has a catastrophic failure, you
> simply insert the Drive Image startup floppy and then use Drive Image to
> choose which image to restore.
>
> Now *that* is what I call simple - not having to change freak'n drives
> internally. That's ridiculous. Also, Maxtor's outboard drives are meant
> to be *outboard*, not inboard.
>
> I don't believe the silliness of these present day image makers.
>
> The more I read of these idiotic modern programs, the more I am coming
> to the conclusion I'm going to be using XP Pro's ASR method. Not fancy.
> Not fast. But it seems sure. Too bad it cost me $50 for that Acronis
> p.o.s. to learn all this.

While working with Acronis TI, did you try to use TI Bootable
Rescue Media CD?
I found this the best way of working with a product. Once you
created that bootable CD, you can uninstall TI from your system.
(section 10.2 of user manual)
It might even work with your USB drives (I use a network share).

Mel

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:26:47 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>> With 98SE and Drive Image, when one has a catastrophic failure, you
>> simply insert the Drive Image startup floppy and then use Drive Image to
>> choose which image to restore.
>>
>> Now *that* is what I call simple - not having to change freak'n drives
>> internally. That's ridiculous. Also, Maxtor's outboard drives are meant
>> to be *outboard*, not inboard.
>>
>> I don't believe the silliness of these present day image makers.
>>
>> The more I read of these idiotic modern programs, the more I am coming
>> to the conclusion I'm going to be using XP Pro's ASR method. Not fancy.
>> Not fast. But it seems sure. Too bad it cost me $50 for that Acronis
>> p.o.s. to learn all this.
>
>While working with Acronis TI, did you try to use TI Bootable
>Rescue Media CD?
>I found this the best way of working with a product. Once you
>created that bootable CD, you can uninstall TI from your system.
>(section 10.2 of user manual)
>It might even work with your USB drives (I use a network share).

Yes, I used the Rescue Cd I had made in the beginning.

To clarify, I have not lost my Windows XP Pro. I just decided to see if
I could restore when needed, so I made a brand new image and tried to
restore it. That's when my problems started.

Hell, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. The "support" at Acronis doesn't
know anything about this either. :)

I'm becoming more convinced to simply use the backup provided by XP Pro.
Should have done that in the beginning. But like they say, too old too
soon. Too smart too late. :)

peter

> Yes, I used the Rescue Cd I had made in the beginning.
>
> To clarify, I have not lost my Windows XP Pro. I just decided to see if
> I could restore when needed, so I made a brand new image and tried to
> restore it. That's when my problems started.

So you have made images to an USB drive and had
difficulty trying to restore from it?
Did you try to run image integrity checks?
Oh, no, you have said that images were not
showing up on USB drive.

That gives me an impression that running Linux
based recovery tool with USB drives can lead to
some troubles.

Thank you for sharing that experience with us.

> Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote
>> mel@mortana.net wrote

>>> I used to use Drive Image, it easy and simple and
>>> sure. However, I now have Acronis and it is a p.o.s.

>>> I don't want Ghost. There *has* to be another program that performs
>>> this important function of imaging a drive - and is simple and works.

>> If you're running Windows XP, then Casper XP is exactly what you want.
>> i.e. "simple" and "works" - more so than any other package out there.

> Thanks for answering. However -

> I downloaded Casper XP and found this in the Help file:

> "Note: While an external USB or Firewire hard disk may be used
> for the backup on a desktop system, Windows is not designed to
> boot and run directly from an external device. Consequently, an
> externally attached hard disk must be removed from its external
> USB or Firewire enclosure and installed as a replacement for
> the internal hard disk in order to boot from it."

> I take it this means that in the case of a catastrophic Windows
> failure, my 2 external Maxtor USB 270Gig drives are worthless
> for booting when trying to use my Casper backup of my C: drive.

No, it just means that the the worst you have to do is to restore
the image that you have created on the external drive to the
internal drive you had been booting off before you can boot it again.

The imaging program does need to be able to restore
using some form of bootable floppy or CD tho. If Casper
XP cant do that, Drive Image 2002 certainly can.

> If the above is correct, it seems I am stuck with the tedious, time
> consuming task of using Windows XP Pro's ASR method of backup,

Nope.

> On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:15:53 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>> I downloaded Casper XP and found this in the Help file:
>>>
>>> "Note: While an external USB or Firewire hard disk may be used for the
>>> backup on a desktop system, Windows is not designed to boot and run
>>> directly from an external device. Consequently, an externally attached
>>> hard disk must be removed from its external USB or Firewire enclosure
>>> and installed as a replacement for the internal hard disk in order to
>>> boot from it."
>>>
>>> I take it this means that in the case of a catastrophic Windows failure,
>>> my 2 external Maxtor USB 270Gig drives are worthless for booting when
>>> trying to use my Casper backup of my C: drive.
>>>
>>> If the above is correct, it seems I am stuck with the tedious, time
>>> consuming task of using Windows XP Pro's ASR method of backup, or
>>> install another hard disk inside my computer - and I need another hard
>>> disk like my car needs a fifth wheel.
>>
>>Standalone systems can be booted off CD/DVD (or floppies).
>>Network attached machines can also use PXE to boot.
>>You can boot to DOS, Linux or WinXP/2K3 (WinPE).
>>Then restore your image.
>>
>>What Casper's note probably means, that they do not support
>>WinPE, or is just plainly wrong.

> Oh, wonderful! Another ridiculous discrepancy
> by another seemingly knot-headed company.

> Jeesh! I should have stuck with Win 98SE and my singularly
> dependable and simple version 2 of Drive Image.

Nope, just get Drive Image 2002 off ebay for peanuts and carry on regardless.

> However, my wife was always complaining
> about the repair costs of the old machine.

Who wears the pants ?

> Now it seems I'll spend more on trying to find a dependable backup
> system than I would have spent on repairing the old 98SE HP machine.

Nope, $7 for Drive Image 2002 off ebay is peanuts.

> As a total aside, had I known that Dell machines, plus keyboards and
> et al, were made in China, I NEVER would have bought from them.

Have fun finding anything that aint now.

> Don't ask me whom I would have bought from. It's just that I'm
> old enough to remember the last time we "helped" out another
> country in Asia by supplying it with all the steel it needed. We
> got it all back at Pearl Harbor in the form of Zeros and bombs.

Thats mindlessly silly too. The last time we helped the
Japs, after they had been turned to crisps at the end of
WW2, they werent silly enough to attack the US again.

And china wont be silly enough either, you watch.

Rod Speed wrote:

> And china wont be silly enough either, you watch.

Ten years or so, and they're going to be ruling the world.

Time to learn Chinese.

Odie

peter

> >Oh, no, you have said that images were not
> >showing up on USB drive.
>
> They were showing up in the preliminary stages when using True Image in
> Windows. But once I was in Safe Mode, TI would no longer have the 3
> most recent images showing in the TI Restore Wizard, only the earlier 2
> images. Even after deleting those earlier images, they STILL were the
> only ones showing in TI Safe Mode as being on my E: drive. (Don't ask
> how this is possible.)

If you used the Rescue Cd you had made in the beginning,
to create images, why you didn't use that CD again to
restore them?

And, why you were using WinXP in Safe Mode?

Mel

On Tue, 17 May 2005 06:47:43 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>> >Oh, no, you have said that images were not
>> >showing up on USB drive.
>>
>> They were showing up in the preliminary stages when using True Image in
>> Windows. But once I was in Safe Mode, TI would no longer have the 3
>> most recent images showing in the TI Restore Wizard, only the earlier 2
>> images. Even after deleting those earlier images, they STILL were the
>> only ones showing in TI Safe Mode as being on my E: drive. (Don't ask
>> how this is possible.)
>
>If you used the Rescue Cd you had made in the beginning,
>to create images, why you didn't use that CD again to
>restore them?

I misunderstood your question in a previous post. I thought you meant
the boot CD I made. I did not make an image CD. I put the images on 2
outboard USB hard drives, each 275Gigs.

>And, why you were using WinXP in Safe Mode?

That's what I was wondering, but it is what Acronis kicked me into each
time I tried to Restore an image. Drive Image used to put one in DOS to
make an image or to restore an image. According to Acronis, you cannot
make a backup while using Windows itself. But is not one still using
Windows while in Safe Mode. It doesn't make sense to me. Especially
since they continually brag about their "shadow" technology and how it
eliminates the problem of making images while in Windows.

I don't understand these new programs at all. The seem to have lost ease
of functionality with their insistence on using "shadow" technology,
dumping to virtual drives, and other seemingly useful goodies that only
take from their main purpose: making a dependable image which is easily
made and restored. A five-year-old could do it with Drive Image. Of
course now that Norton has "worked it over" into Ghost, it probably
gives techs fits. (I've hated Norton junk since his DOS programs screwed
up my DOS machines years back. I've never used any Norton/Symantec
program since.)

As far as I'm concerned, I have my XP Pro CD with which to reinstall
Windows if need be. I have all my data and program install files backed
up on my two outboard disks, so I'm saying to hell with this stupid
problem. Although, I will post Acronis' answer to this nonsense if and
when I get one.

For the hundredth time: I cannot understand how Powerquest's Drive Image
was so simple and effective, and this new junk is so damn complicated.
Of course I really do know. They screwed up trying to be all things to
all people instead of just doing one simple thing: making and restoring
images.

peter

> I misunderstood your question in a previous post. I thought you meant
> the boot CD I made. I did not make an image CD. I put the images on 2
> outboard USB hard drives, each 275Gigs.

No, you did not misunderstood. So check again:
- you have created bootable TI Rescue CD
- you have booted your PC with TI Rescue CD
now you run Linux of that CD
- you have created an image of your internal HD,
and pointed to an external USB drive as image file
location.

Now, to check if you can use that image for recovery,
did you boot your PC with TI Rescue CD again,
and tried to restore previously created image?

> >And, why you were using WinXP in Safe Mode?
>
> That's what I was wondering, but it is what Acronis kicked me into each
> time I tried to Restore an image.

Because you should not boot your PC normally, with WinXP,
but use TI Rescue CD to boot from instead.

> Drive Image used to put one in DOS to
> make an image or to restore an image. According to Acronis, you cannot
> make a backup while using Windows itself. But is not one still using
> Windows while in Safe Mode. It doesn't make sense to me. Especially
> since they continually brag about their "shadow" technology and how it
> eliminates the problem of making images while in Windows.

You confuse TI image making with TI backup.
They are two different things.

> I don't understand these new programs at all. The seem to have lost ease
> of functionality with their insistence on using "shadow" technology,
> dumping to virtual drives, and other seemingly useful goodies that only
> take from their main purpose: making a dependable image which is easily
> made and restored. A five-year-old could do it with Drive Image. Of
> course now that Norton has "worked it over" into Ghost, it probably
> gives techs fits. (I've hated Norton junk since his DOS programs screwed
> up my DOS machines years back. I've never used any Norton/Symantec
> program since.)

I have a different opinion about old Ghost, but that's me.

> As far as I'm concerned, I have my XP Pro CD with which to reinstall
> Windows if need be. I have all my data and program install files backed
> up on my two outboard disks, so I'm saying to hell with this stupid
> problem. Although, I will post Acronis' answer to this nonsense if and
> when I get one.
>
> For the hundredth time: I cannot understand how Powerquest's Drive Image
> was so simple and effective, and this new junk is so damn complicated.
> Of course I really do know. They screwed up trying to be all things to
> all people instead of just doing one simple thing: making and restoring
> images.

I must disagree. But maybe they should have a "light" version -
Rescue CD based only, for people like you, looking for simplicity
rather than additional features.

Mel

On Tue, 17 May 2005 09:23:26 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
wrote:
snip

>> For the hundredth time: I cannot understand how Powerquest's Drive Image
>> was so simple and effective, and this new junk is so damn complicated.
>> Of course I really do know. They screwed up trying to be all things to
>> all people instead of just doing one simple thing: making and restoring
>> images.
>
>I must disagree. But maybe they should have a "light" version -
>Rescue CD based only, for people like you, looking for simplicity
>rather than additional features.

You are right. I have no inclination to go through a 500 page confusing
PDF manual on how to do such a simple thing as backing up a hard drive.
These newer programs - as I have said before, have screwed up in the
effort to make them all things to all people.

Acronis and my $50 are past history. I am staying with XP Pro's
backup system - ASR, complete with boot floppy. If that fails, there is
always my XP Pro OS disk for install.

Again, thanks for trying to enlighten me. : )

mel@mortana.net wrote:

> Jeesh! I should have stuck with Win 98SE and my singularly dependable
> and simple version 2 of Drive Image. However, my wife was always
> complaining about the repair costs of the old machine. Now it seems
> I'll spend more on trying to find a dependable backup system than I
> would have spent on repairing the old 98SE HP machine.

Why not get yourself a hardware RAID controller and run RAID 1?

The chances of both drives dying simultaneously are pretty slim,
especially if you a) avoid Maxtors and Hitachis and b) mount cooling
fans blowing across the hard drives.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Globally Local Data Recovery Experts

Mel

On Tue, 17 May 2005 09:33:12 +0100, Odie Ferrous
<odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:

>mel@mortana.net wrote:
>>
>> Jeesh! I should have stuck with Win 98SE and my singularly dependable
>> and simple version 2 of Drive Image. However, my wife was always
>> complaining about the repair costs of the old machine. Now it seems
>> I'll spend more on trying to find a dependable backup system than I
>> would have spent on repairing the old 98SE HP machine.
>
>Why not get yourself a hardware RAID controller and run RAID 1?
>
>The chances of both drives dying simultaneously are pretty slim,
>especially if you a) avoid Maxtors and Hitachis and b) mount cooling
>fans blowing across the hard drives.
>

>Odie

I already have two outboard drives. As for Maxtor's being not up to
snuff, I've used them for years until they just die of old age. I guess
there are good models and bad models in any line of equipment.

Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:42893926.E7545044@hotmail.com...
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> As a total aside, had I known that Dell machines,
>>> plus keyboards and et al, were made in China,
>>> I NEVER would have bought from them.

>> Have fun finding anything that aint now.

>>> Don't ask me whom I would have bought from. It's just that I'm
>>> old enough to remember the last time we "helped" out another
>>> country in Asia by supplying it with all the steel it needed. We
>>> got it all back at Pearl Harbor in the form of Zeros and bombs.

>> Thats mindlessly silly too. The last time we helped the
>> Japs, after they had been turned to crisps at the end of
>> WW2, they werent silly enough to attack the US again.

>> And china wont be silly enough either, you watch.

> Ten years or so, and they're going to be ruling the world.

Nope.

The same claim was made about the Japs too. Look at them now.

> Time to learn Chinese.

No point, they are learning english.