Question Are There Any Red Flags Or Features I Might Not Be Aware Of Being Absent / Is This Considered a Budget Motherboard?

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Hey experts!

As the title asks, I'm wondering if the motherboard will be up to the task of handling the hardware I have planned to use with it without any concerns or issues.

ASRock Z790 PRO RS is the motherboard in question. I'm not really seeing many available options for the Z790 at all right now, it seems only ASRock units are around for purchase. Perhaps I'm missing something there about the market?

I'm planning to pair it with 32x2 GB RAM kit from Crucial (4,800 Mhz, CL40) and a Core i9-13900K processor. I'm wonder if this board is capable of running the RAM at those advertised specifications and if the board has any flaws anyone knows from reviewing or experience about this board?

Also is this considered a budget motherboard? I'm not looking to go budget, a few 13900K reviews I've watched have said to avoid the very bottom budget motherboards. This isn't one of those bottom of the barrel bargain boards, is it?

Thanks for your time everyone.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
wait for reviews on the motherboard to come out to answer this question. that is a very power hungry cpu and who knows what it takes to run it. cpu reviews tend to use the top end massively expensive mobo's. look for reviews of the specific board to see what it can and can't do.

its still too early for us to know anything about these by looking at spec sheets.

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Thanks for the response. I've been thinking along those lines, to keep observing.

If anyone has any alternative suggestions for specific motherboard recommendations known or reviewed to run well with the given memory and CPU, that would be especially appreciated, as the reviews trickle in.

I trust the experts here far more than my own judgment but I will keep checking out reviews nonetheless. Any additional advice or discussion about this topic from anyone is welcome. Cheers!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey experts!

As the title asks, I'm wondering if the motherboard will be up to the task of handling the hardware I have planned to use with it without any concerns or issues.

ASRock Z790 PRO RS is the motherboard in question. I'm not really seeing many available options for the Z790 at all right now, it seems only ASRock units are around for purchase. Perhaps I'm missing something there about the market?

I'm planning to pair it with 32x2 GB RAM kit from Crucial (4,800 Mhz, CL40) and a Core i9-13900K processor. I'm wonder if this board is capable of running the RAM at those advertised specifications and if the board has any flaws anyone knows from reviewing or experience about this board?

Also is this considered a budget motherboard? I'm not looking to go budget, a few 13900K reviews I've watched have said to avoid the very bottom budget motherboards. This isn't one of those bottom of the barrel bargain boards, is it?

Thanks for your time everyone.
Budget board 14+1+1 power delivery but just 50A DrMOS not really what I would use with a 13900K

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
@Zerk2012
And this is why I like to post here, a lot of those numbers elude me to their meaning or purpose so I appreciate the simplified response to my questions.

@Why_Me
Primarily gaming as the single most demanding use, but a lot of consumer grade multi-tasking (browsers, video, social media etc) on multiple fairly busy monitors as well as some gaming related software development including testing, graphic design and some spreadsheet stuff. So I guess... a mixture of both but almost no video editing.

I assume this MSI Pro Z790-A Wifi is what you're suggesting for my hardware? Hmm. Looks pretty solid. Much appreciated!

I was hoping to go MSI again since a couple systems back I had an MSI motherboard with no issues, but this current system is a Gigabyte and it has an obnoxious harmonic resonance sound that has been driving me insane for over a year. Will definitely keep my eye on this unit!

Reactions: Why_Me
@Zerk2012
And this is why I like to post here, a lot of those numbers elude me to their meaning or purpose so I appreciate the simplified response to my questions.

@Why_Me
Primarily gaming as the single most demanding use, but a lot of consumer grade multi-tasking (browsers, video, social media etc) on multiple fairly busy monitors as well as some gaming related software development including testing, graphic design and some spreadsheet stuff. So I guess... a mixture of both but almost no video editing.

I assume this MSI Pro Z790-A Wifi is what you're suggesting for my hardware? Hmm. Looks pretty solid. Much appreciated!

I was hoping to go MSI again since a couple systems back I had an MSI motherboard with no issues, but this current system is a Gigabyte and it has an obnoxious harmonic resonance sound that has been driving me insane for over a year. Will definitely keep my eye on this unit!
No idea when you plan on purchasing but in January Intel will be releasing the less expensive and less power hungry locked cpu's along with the more reasonable cost B760 boards and that's what a lot of peeps including myself are waiting on. The i7 13700F will have 8 P cores + 8 E cores = 24 threads. If it's anything like the i7 12700F it's going to be a gaming beast without making your electricity bill go crazy.

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
@Why_Me

I usually stick to their consumer high-tier chips with a few skipped upgrades in between. Current system is the 9900K. I was actually going to go AMD this time and give Ryzen 9 a chance, but with 13900K's release being so soon I thought I'd wait for some benchmarks and reviews and I'm really liking what I'm seeing with the 13900K. Several skipped generations, finally time to upgrade again. Got a feeling this one will last for quite some time. I'll keep an eye on those January releases nevertheless. If it's enough to warrant changing up I'll consider it for sure.

Also, do you have any idea why in my Canadian version of newegg, the board is DDR4 and not DDR5? Link.

@Why_Me

I usually stick to their consumer high-tier chips with a few skipped upgrades in between. Current system is the 9900K. I was actually going to go AMD this time and give Ryzen 9 a chance, but with 13900K's release being so soon I thought I'd wait for some benchmarks and reviews and I'm really liking what I'm seeing with the 13900K. Several skipped generations, finally time to upgrade again. Got a feeling this one will last for quite some time. I'll keep an eye on those January releases nevertheless. If it's enough to warrant changing up I'll consider it for sure.

Also, do you have any idea why in my Canadian version of newegg, the board is DDR4 and not DDR5? Link.
If you have a US IP, Newegg will usually have a popup that ask you if you want to switch to the US site. The 13900K is a gaming beast no doubt but it's major drawback is that it is a heat producing power hog that demands a more expensive board with nothing less than a 360 AIO and even then it throttles down. DeBauer who's nothing short of a PC genius found a way to tame it down some.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Bm0Wr6OEQ&t=961s

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you have an actual, authentic use for a 13900k, and you can afford the cooling necessary for a 13900k, if you can afford the oversized power supply necessary to not only run that power hog but also the gpu to take advantage of it, you have zero excuse for not also buying a motherboard fully able to support that cpu.

In other words, you should be looking at the Asus Hero, Gigabyte Auros Master Z690/Z790 class motherboards. The 13th gen cpus don't get any real known advantage with the Z790 over a Z690, essentially the same mobo, different gimmicks.

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
@Karadjgne
Oversized PSU... just how oversized are we talking?

Also I wasn't looking for an excuse, rather just insight as to what would be considered a good pairing for my other hardware, and to make sure I don't get some budget motherboard, as you say, that isn't capable of harnessing much of it or properly support it at all. Do you have anything to say against the above suggested MSI motherboard?

Also what kind of cooling do you think I should go for? Brand names and models welcome.

My current system uses a Gigabyte AORUS and it's the worst motherboard I've ever used as I said in a previous message. Never knew something with no moving parts could be so ridiculously loud and obnoxious. I wish to avoid Gigabyte for the foreseeable future. Thanks for your time.

@Why_Me
Thanks a lot for the video, this might come in handy in my use case. I can't promise to saturate the chip's potential, but I might come close to over the years before the next upgrade. Just want to do it right this time.

Reactions: Why_Me
@Karadjgne
Oversized PSU... just how oversized are we talking?

Also I wasn't looking for an excuse, rather just insight as to what would be considered a good pairing for my other hardware, and to make sure I don't get some budget motherboard, as you say, that isn't capable of harnessing much of it or properly support it at all. Do you have anything to say against the above suggested MSI motherboard?

Also what kind of cooling do you think I should go for? Brand names and models welcome.

My current system uses a Gigabyte AORUS and it's the worst motherboard I've ever used as I said in a previous message. Never knew something with no moving parts could be so ridiculously loud and obnoxious. I wish to avoid Gigabyte for the foreseeable future. Thanks for your time.

@Why_Me
Thanks a lot for the video, this might come in handy in my use case. I can't promise to saturate the chip's potential, but I might come close to over the years before the next upgrade. Just want to do it right this time.
A 360 AIO and a case with good airflow such as the Lian Li Performance III.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In general, to keep temps within operating ranges takes @ 1.5x capacity at a full load. That'll keep the cpu either right at or just under 100°C. So convential wisdom has it that to get temp lower than 100 you'd need cooling capacity closer or above 2x the power consumption.

The 13900k is fully capable at full loads of pulling 300w. A 360mm AIO is @ 350w capacity. A 420mm is @ 400w. Big air such as the Noctua NH-D15 or beQuiet DRP4 are @ 250w. Inside a case. Test benches or open air platforms are different.

The 13900k is the first mainstream cpu that honestly needs a full custom loop since the FX-9590 if you want to see temps anywhere approaching 70ish°C.

So you'll game on a 360mm and get ok temps, but anything more is just going to get worse.

That kind of power draw and power abuse is no different to that old 9590, it's going to take high amperage mosfets, multiple power stages, sheer ability to deal with that cpu. Whether the 13900k actually fits on a board is irrelevant, whether it going to kill the board is everything.

I'd be looking at the Asus ROG Hero, Evga Dark, Gigabyte Auros Master, ASRock Taichi, that class of motherboard or better.

It's pointless to use a 13900k in gaming with anything less than a 4090. It's pretty much proven that even a 3090Ti is hitting walls and not allowing the cpu to reach its potential. You'd be running almost the same fps as a 13600k, 5800X3D, 7900/7950X with any lesser gpu, even in older titles like Tomb Raider. So you'll be needing a psu that'll handle not only the 900w requirements of that gpu but also the 300w of the cpu and the 100w for the rest of the pc. 1200w will be a minimum acceptable psu, with 1500w being optimal, landing gaming usage somewhere around the 50-70% efficiency bracket for power and thermals. Platinum or better will be a requirement. Not just for stability and efficiency but because Gold rated don't have the efficiency and you'll overload most household circuits by turning on a light.