Question Are these micro stutters normal in The Forest? (VIDEO included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Hi guys!

I am not getting the best game experience because of these micro stutters or what are these called. The game is on quality Samsiung Evo SSD, and I don't think the problem is with the hardware. Windows 10 x64 is freshly installed.

I use fixed 72 fps (my monitor is 75 hz), because I use g-sync to avoid screen tearing. But if I turn off g-sync and leave the fps cap only, nothing changes. And If I only enable vsync without any fps cap, the micro stutters still occur the same way.

Anyway my PC:
Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked to 3,8 ghz (stability is tested, and no overheating)
RTX 2060 6GB
16GB RAM (XMP profile: 3000 mhz, dual channel)

The video about my experience:
View: https://youtu.be/4sKDsFllmrA

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see micro stuttering either. Most likely the game is running fine and the appearance of stutter is monitor sync related. Capturing is done internally and that's what we're seeing as a result. To record micro stuttering you'll need to record the display itself using an external device, ie camera/phone.

Try disable full screen optimisation under compatibility tab for the game's exe. It's a Win10 feature, a blend between windowed/full screen. Some games + Gsynv/Vsync may not agree with it.

Also try game's own vsync options if it's got it. Vsync in NvidaCP set to application control first so Geforce driver lets the game use it's own vsync. Gsync can be used at the same time.

It's possible as said the game may not be optimised very well. If there are stutters we should be seeing but for some reason the video isn't showing them, it could be SMT related. Might want to try turn it off or configure/force the game to run on selected cores. Like how is done in this guide for csgo.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/b54x8k/how_to_make_ryzen_usable_for_csgo_guide/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Last edited:

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
I don't see micro stuttering either. Most likely the game is running fine and the appearance of stutter is monitor sync related. Capturing is done internally and that's what we're seeing as a result. To record micro stuttering you'll need to record the display itself using an external device, ie camera/phone.

Try disable full screen optimisation under compatibility tab for the game's exe. It's a Win10 feature, a blend between windowed/full screen. Some games + Gsynv/Vsync may not agree with it.

Also try game's own vsync options if it's got it. Vsync in NvidaCP set to application control first so Geforce driver lets the game use it's own vsync. Gsync can be used at the same time.

It's possible as said the game may not be optimised very well. If there are stutters we should be seeing but for some reason the video isn't showing them, it could be SMT related. Might want to try turn it off or configure/force the game to run on selected cores. Like how is done in this guide for csgo.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/b54x8k/how_to_make_ryzen_usable_for_csgo_guide/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

Now you will see. As I played a lot, the stuttering bacame much bigger, the game is unplayable, I will delete it soon. I think thats a problem with Ryzen, its just a bad CPU for gaming. And as I wrote the ingame vsync is doing the same. If I don't cap fps I have the stutters too.
View: https://youtu.be/SKQkeZ6eu5g

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes i see it now. The first video wasn't as evident but now i can see it there too. That's not micro stutter (frames not fluently matching on display), it's more like a chugging stutter, as if game is not utilising the cpu properly. That Csgo guide might help you with that. As in, game not agreeing with SMT/Hyperthreading or plays better on particular cores.

Reactions: pety100

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Yes i see it now. The first video wasn't as evident but now i can see it there too. That's not micro stutter (frames not fluently matching on display), it's more like a chugging stutter, as if game is not utilising the cpu properly. That Csgo guide might help you with that. As in, game not agreeing with SMT/Hyperthreading or plays better on particular cores.

Thanks, I will check this. (maybe with other games too)

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019

Unfortunately this CS GO optimization didn't work for me. I tested with The Forest and rFactor 2. In rFactor 2 if I left only cpu 6 8 10 activated, my fps was very bad. I tried 6 8 10 11 (as a lot of people said in the CS GO post, if the CPU is a 6c/12t cpu), but the framerate was still a few fps lower (6-7 fps), than leaving all of the cores/threads active. And this is very similar with The Forest. In The Forest I get the same fps with only core 6-8-10-11 or leaving all the cores. And I get the same stutters with core 6-8-10-11.

One thing I noticed. I get these stutters only when it's night. I recorded a log with MSI Afterburner. The only thing I noticed in this log that when these stutters happened the CPU Power went down to 21 from about 60. But all the time it goes down exactly to 21. I don't know if this means something or this is just the result of a simple CPU bottleneck. Here is the graph:
https://ibb.co/Zd426sQ
power-21-red.png

Hooops, sorry,. This power % is related to GPU and not CPU. And if the cpu can't handle the game I think it's normal for the GPU to use less power because the GPU didn't get the frame from the CPU and waited for it I guess. Then I don't know, maybe that's a CPU bottleneck :(

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm. There's not a lot more you can do on the computer side of things. Maybe try balanced power plan with a minimum processor state of 10% and full performance in NvidiaCP.

Other than that, there could be a setting in the game itself that's buggy.

Your system is more than capable. If Dev's were lazy in coding of the game then it won't really matter how powerful a system is.

Reactions: pety100

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Hmm. There's not a lot more you can do on the computer side of things. Maybe try balanced power plan with a minimum processor state of 10% and full performance in NvidiaCP.

Other than that, there could be a setting in the game itself that's buggy.

Your system is more than capable. If Dev's were lazy in coding of the game then it won't really matter how powerful a system is.

Yes but a lot of people don't have stuttering. I watch streamers and they didn't have lag. Maybe they have Intel CPU... :rolleyes: Tomorrow or after tomorrow I will try to reset bios settings to default (so reset overclock from 3,8 ghz to the default). Then I will try the high performance plan in windows and in nvidia control panel.

And I appreciate you are helping me. Thank you! 😊

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome. Don't forget to try another Geforce driver and try same game settings if video offers them, sometimes they do.

Depending how recent the video was, differences now could be anything. From an Windows update to Geforce driver + game setting which Geforce driver may have broke / give undesirable performance. This is why i don't like to compare with videos most of the time, circumstances can change.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
You're welcome. Don't forget to try another Geforce driver and try same game settings if video offers them, sometimes they do.

Depending how recent the video was, differences now could be anything. From an Windows update to Geforce driver + game setting which Geforce driver may have broke / give undesirable performance. This is why i don't like to compare with videos most of the time, circumstances can change.

I played the game in early access and I had the same problem. That was some time ago so I don't think its related to nvidia drivers. Another thing I noticed that stutters happens only after playing the game for about 15+ minutes. So when I start the game and I saved at night previously and I join the game at night, there is no bigger stutters only the usual micro stutters. But then the next night when I've been playing for about 20 minutes the problem occurs again. These lags sometimes happening at daylight when I arm a trap but only sometimes. I think this is cpu bottleneck, or somehow connected to cpu, even If my total cpu usage is below 35-40% when it happens. I will upgrade in the future to Intel and I'm 99 percent sure that my problems will be solved. For now, I just deleted the game (I don't have much time to play it recently anyway).

Keely1105

Prominent
Jun 16, 2020
Any progress made on this? I've just started recently playing the game and I am having the EXACT SAME ISSUE. My GPU Usage is dropping intermittently which results in my frames dropping/stuttering. This doesn't happen with other games. My rig should have no issue running this game.

PC Specs:
Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM - 16GB
GPU - Nvidia 2070 Super
Mobo - MSI UNIFY

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Any progress made on this? I've just started recently playing the game and I am having the EXACT SAME ISSUE. My GPU Usage is dropping intermittently which results in my frames dropping/stuttering. This doesn't happen with other games. My rig should have no issue running this game.

PC Specs:
Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM - 16GB
GPU - Nvidia 2070 Super
Mobo - MSI UNIFY

I dont know to tell the truth. That cpu shouldn't struggle with that game. Maybe the game is not optimized for ryzens or the game is just badly optimized. I follow a streamer who has better config than me and he played The Forest a lot recently and he had hard stutters too sometimes, not as often as for me, but he had. So maybe its something with the game engine and we should live with it. I hope the Sons of the Forest will have a better optimization.

If you have installed the latest bios on your mobo and you have the latest chipset drivers installed and still get these annoying stutters you could test turning HPET off. There is a lot of post about it that turning that off on ryzen systems can make a big difference. That was the only thing I didn't tried. Because I tried that in the past with other games and I didn't experienced any change in fps or stutters. But who knows how The Forest reacts to it.

Keely1105

Prominent
Jun 16, 2020
I dont know to tell the truth. That cpu shouldn't struggle with that game. Maybe the game is not optimized for ryzens or the game is just badly optimized. I follow a streamer who has better config than me and he played The Forest a lot recently and he had hard stutters too sometimes, not as often as for me, but he had. So maybe its something with the game engine and we should live with it. I hope the Sons of the Forest will have a better optimization.

If you have installed the latest bios on your mobo and you have the latest chipset drivers installed and still get these annoying stutters you could test turning HPET off. There is a lot of post about it that turning that off on ryzen systems can make a big difference. That was the only thing I didn't tried. Because I tried that in the past with other games and I didn't experienced any change in fps or stutters. But who knows how The Forest reacts to it.

Yeah I was thinking it might just be something with the game because no other game gives me this problem. Guess we'll just have to suck it up for now if we want to play. Here's to hoping that the sequel runs a bit better. I'll try HPET and see what happens. Thanks for the quick response brother, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.