Are These Really Doom 4 Screenshots?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
At this point in time I have completely given up on PC. Everyone is going the path of consoles. I no longer have any hope of seeing any game since Crysis 1 (NOT 2) to push the hardware envelope. Consoles are the dominating force of the market and soon tablets and ipads will take over. There is simply not enough people with high end PCs to justify making a PC only platform game. Consoles are ubiquitous and easy to code and are most profitable. PCs be damned....ports are the future and we will have to deal with it. I am SCOF (Sad and crying on the floor)

kristoffe

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 15, 2010
@beetlejuicegr....

everything. the rusting dreamy geometry, the steampunk character skinning, individual model nuiances. you must have beer googles on, the game is fantastic. you remind me of a friend who bought a $6500 rig and rage looked terrible. I got it on mine and it looked fantastic.

i didnt have any texture loading issues like he did, it didnt glitch a single bit. amazing how people can pour their money into expensive computers but not know how to tweak them.

then again i do game mod and development and use different drives for temp,win,steam,etc. who knows. i hope you dont get more games that are unimpressive to you.

what a waste of money. i feel bad for your gaming experience.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I would probably want to get Doom4 on my PC if it was being made for the next generation of consoles. The current consoles are such old hardware technology now that the PC version will be too low tech, and the people with really powerful PC hardware will just be wasting that power to give themselves ridiculous numbers of pixels which are just not necessary with such low detail games.

dangthe

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Hmm, I look at people bashing ID's games recently and honestly dont understand them... Doom 3 maybe wasnt a worthy successor to Doom II, but it sure wasnt a bad game... as for Rage - for me it was one of the few first person shooters I enjoyed playing in single player, and I've played a lot of them in my lifetime. I found Rage to be more of an experience then a game to be honest, and it is a pure 10/10 for me.

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Actually the predominant color in Doom was brown... brown as... s...[/citation]

I agree with you 100%, very well said!
By the way, which mod´s do you use in Crysis?

Cheers

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I hope is not just another medium req with average graphic quality like RAGE. People have been running 7970 Crossfire, give them a Super eye candy graphic game that run @ only 60fps outside 2560x1600x8xAA resolution. With the exception of Battlfield 3, all of the games recently have medicore graphics and arent pushing the limit of a desktop PC like Doom3/quake3/Crysis 1.Infact my heavily modded crysis 1 still look better than battlfield 3. Yes it look soo beautiful that my single GTX570 @ 45 fps @ 1680x1050px0xAA only. A 5yrs old game that is still a champion on photo realistic graphic? Come on....this is riduculous.[/citation]

I agree with you 100%, very well said!
By the way, which mod´s do you use in Crysis?

Cheers

dirge inferno

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I love all the fanboys giving thumbs downs whenever someone has an opinion, well fuck off. Be in denial all you want but in the end you have to admit how crap this looks, sure it'd be a nice alien game but a game regarding hell? This is Doom we're talking about, not fairies!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Badelhas[/nom]I agree with you 100%, very well said!By the way, which mod´s do you use in Crysis?Cheers[/citation]my crysis use ReLi2, natural mod, Palm Tree texture mod, Rygel's high texture pack, High Resolution Foliage.

here is the link, http://www.overclock.net/t/1014933/a-guide-to-crysis-mods-56k-warning
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417651

Tell me how long will it take anyone to beat crysis 1 + mod. The Crysis 1 engine sucks in efficiency, but the focus is not here, but rather the texture the level detail they use remain unchallenge till today.

Infact my 2nd rig 5yrs old core 2 duo +9800GT still manage to play assasin creed 2 @ max 1680x1050, thats just so wrong. Back then my Athlon XP, Pentium 3 was a high end rig, they didnt last long, Doom3 & a couple of games within 4 years @ max detail pretty much kill them.

G

I have no interest in stories cut scenes prequel - sequel nonesense. Its a game not a movie.

Message to developers:
I DO require my games to play OUT OF THE BOX WITHOUT INTERNET CONNECTION.

If that doesnt happen I wont even buy it when its sat in the bargain bucket at 50c a pop.

Out of interest - favourite game is Far Cry 1. Both graphics and game play come together
perfectly. Lots of variation, speed changes and plenty of room to do things differently every time.
There are also some awesome mods. I go back to it often.

If they can get near that and note my comment above - I'll buy into it.
I still play Doom1 and 2 occasionaly. Doom 3 I found only OK to play just the once.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Yes, openGL > DirectX. That's why it's used by everything and everyone, comes standard with the most popular operating system in the world, has the coolest games, and by far has been supported by umpteen companies year around and receives the best attention by said companies and developers.
(sarcasm)

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]I can understand the flashlight (what no duct tape) criticism for Doom 3 but that added allot to the scariness of the game. Doom3 still is the creepiest/scariest game I ever played.[/citation]

Try F.E.A.R. way better than Doom3 and looks twice as good.

G

does anybody else see the Doom 3 coverart on a billboard in one of those screens? the one with the mcdonald's in it.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]I can understand the flashlight (what no duct tape) criticism for Doom 3 but that added allot to the scariness of the game. Doom3 still is the creepiest/scariest game I ever played.[/citation]
every play FEAR? that was scary too haha, i still remember in doom 3 a skeleton popped while crawling through the vents, jumped out my chair hahaha

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
>The new Doom installment will also reportedly feature gameplay more in tune with the original DOS-based versions instead of the slow-paced Doom 3.

YES YES PLEASE PLEASE BE TRUE

Doom3 quake 4 and rage are just slow paced consolized games, please make this one KICK ASS like what DOOM USED TO BE

ramon1

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Amazing, even after the Rage debacle they still go and release a bunch of stills, I guess ID themselves haven't realized that after Rage ID's image has been damaged forever.

As much as it pains me to see Doom going this way, Rage was too dull to have my interest picked by a bunch of dull pics.

G

To all of you arguing about the game and the engine:

Its a hell on current earth scenario, nothing like the previous doom games, looks linear and it uses that awful rage engine with blurry texture, terrible filtering, no lighting and overall unimpress looking.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]raven2510[/nom]Right? That was the worst part in Doom 3. Future tech, on Mars, Portal to Hell...No Duct Tape.[/citation]
Actual duct tape would be cool, normal flash light to start and you have to find a roll to use it, but if you ever go in water it should loosen and fall off and you need to get more - I can see that being annoyingly realistic - maybe even work in weapon jams too at suitably inconvenient moments

castle songbird

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
All the screenshots look like they were taken for the purpose of being a screenshot. I find it unlikely that that this was an actual leak, seems more like Bethesda just released them under the guise of of leak to amplify people's interest. Speculation can do that pretty well. Also I'd be surprised if they weren't pics of Doom 4 because the water in one of the pics is identical to the water in Rage.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]At least on Earth we have duct tape. No excuse for having to toggle between the flashlight or something combat effective.[/citation]

when you run out of shotgun ammo and switch to a different weapon, you have to rip off your flash light and bust out the tape again for your new weapon right?

Status
Not open for further replies.