[SOLVED] Are these safe temps for an i5 8400?

dezj9280

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
I have the i5 8400 processor and just changed the thermal paste, but the temps are a bit higher when idle (before it was 33C now its 37-38) and while gaming (mostly Rainbow Six Siege) I used to have 60-70, now I get 74 and sometimes it gets to 80.

Are these normal temps for this processor?

Solution
Cooler. It'll come with pretty decent paste if bought new. With that cpu you won't need anything overly expensive, any of the decent budget coolers will suffice, it'll depend on expectations/desires and case restrictions as to what will work best

dezj9280

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Find it a little odd that changing the paste actually increased temps, either the cooler isn't fully seated correctly, it was a bad paste/cleaning job or you found paste that's actually worse than the stock Intel paste included with the cooler.

i tried a couple times and made sure the cooler was fully eated, it may be the thermal paste, i can't see any brand on the package and it was really cheap. Would you recommend changing the paste and/or cooler if the temps go higher than 80c when gaming?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cooler. It'll come with pretty decent paste if bought new. With that cpu you won't need anything overly expensive, any of the decent budget coolers will suffice, it'll depend on expectations/desires and case restrictions as to what will work best

Solution

TRENDING THREADS