Question Are these VRM temps normal for Z690 GAMING X DDR4 and 12700K?

Aug 15, 2022
Hi,
I have a question. I am a bit worried (i know it sounds weird for 68c max) but aren't these temps a bit too high? I saw the Hardware Unboxed VRM test with Z690 GAMING X and 12700K and its max was 60c. Maybe thermal pads aren't correctly mounted by factory or i got faulty VRM or should i RMA mobo?
It temporarily works without a case so maybe the VRM is a bit dusty? Let me know and i'll be grateful so much. Thanks :)
View: https://imgur.com/a/3Zt9qlv
Here's the proof :p

Hi,
I have a question. I am a bit worried (i know it sounds weird for 68c max) but aren't these temps a bit too high? I saw the Hardware Unboxed VRM test with Z690 GAMING X and 12700K and its max was 60c. Maybe thermal pads aren't correctly mounted by factory or i got faulty VRM or should i RMA mobo?
It temporarily works without a case so maybe the VRM is a bit dusty? Let me know and i'll be grateful so much. Thanks :)
View: https://imgur.com/a/3Zt9qlv
Here's the proof :p
You won't replicate the exact environment of Hardware Unboxed when they tested. Cooler is better but 68C is no cause for alarm.

What do you mean with "better cooler"?
HUB probably tests 'open air' like most review sites do. That allows for better air circulation around the VRM area which will naturally be better for cooling.

68C is nothing for a modern power MOS-FET. Check your VRM temp after an hour or so of maximum all-core CPU work, something like prime95. If it's under 125C you're safe; if it's under 100C you're golden.

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
No two systems are the same, and Hardware Unboxed had a stable 21°C ambient room temperature and likely optimal conditions when testing. Do you? Even if, an 8°C difference is a silly thing to worry about unless you are close to 100°C+. You are not. It's fine.

Edit:
Just remembered that he didn't even use the mainboard sensors for the test, but his own sensors. That makes your temps completely incomparable to his. You don't know where the sensor sits on the board, or if it reports accurate temperatures. Please don't cause the support unnecessary work by sending in a completely fine board.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022
No two systems are the same, and Hardware Unboxed had a stable 21°C ambient room temperature and likely optimal conditions when testing. Do you? Even if, an 8°C difference is a silly thing to worry about unless you are close to 100°C+. You are not. It's fine.

Edit:
Just remembered that he didn't even use the mainboard sensors for the test, but his own sensors. That makes your temps completely incomparable to his. You don't know where the sensor sits on the board, or if it reports accurate temperatures. Please don't cause the support unnecessary work by sending in a completely fine board.
You mean that he used thermal vision sensor right? And how did he take this 60c from the left side of radiator or this one just above the socket? Or maybe it was an average temp from both ones?

KyaraM

Admirable
HUB probably tests 'open air' like most review sites do. That allows for better air circulation around the VRM area which will naturally be better for cooling.
He actually didn't! He used a high-end system for testing, though, so still essentially optimal conditions. You can find the testing setup here:

You mean that he used thermal vision sensor right? And how did he take this 60c from the left side of radiator or this one just above the socket? Or maybe it was an average temp from both ones?
According to his setup, he measured at the back of the PCB:
For recording temperatures we're using a digital thermometer with K-Type thermocouples. This allows us to report peak rear PCB temperature. but we're not recording Delta T over Ambient, instead we maintain a room temperature of 21 degrees and ensure a consistent ambient temperature with a thermocouple positioned next to the test system. For testing we've got three CPU configurations, excluding the F variants, it won't shock you that we've tested with the 12900K, 12700K and 12600K. The stress test consists in looping Cinebench R32 for an hour, at which point we're reporting the maximum PCB temperature, recorded using k-type thermocouples.
So they made sure to continuously check ambient room temperature, which was at 21°C, and used a very well-ventilated case with high-end CPU cooling. Thus, optimal testing conditions. You don't have optimal conditions, and there are many factors that influence VRM and other temperatures inside your case.

And my room temperatures are like... 26,5c so it maybe affects the VRM temps
Yes, it can definitely influence results. Also keep in mind that air flow inside the case is also important, since weaker airflow means that more hot air stays inside the influencing surrounding temperatures for the VRM as well. Also, please note that HUB called 75°C a "decent result" in the test I linked above, with a 12900k on ebtry level boards. If 75°C is decent under optimal conditions, then 68 under suboptimal ones is even better ^^

Aug 15, 2022
I also made a test with 5.0GHz on all cores and 86c for VRM is good temp? And NZXT cam told that it was 90c (no undervolt), just raised up ratio. The cooler i am using is NZXT Kraken X63 280mm, yes, cpu package was 100c but it was a minor throttle to 4900MHz on a few cores, so kraken has done its job tbh but vrm? Idk...

Aug 15, 2022
By the way i made a research regarding temperatures, here's the quote:"You might find it odd that these Gigabyte boards all hit the same peak temperature given they use different components, but we retested and even the onboard VRM temp sensors all peaked at the same 68C. " This one was about an i7 so, i was taking my ass to do a research, sorry guys for bothering you :( a lack of knowledge from HUB costs the time :( have a nice day anyway and i think about closing the thread.