[SOLVED] Are they ripping me off?...

glenjj

Honorable
Nov 8, 2015
So I bought a new pc from a very reputable site that assembled it for me, but I'd like some advice please guys on this situation.

Timeline:
  • First delivery, DOA, returned for inspection, dead GPU, replaced.
  • Second delivery, DOA again, returned for inspection.. dead MOBO, offered an upgraded MOBO (they covered the small price increase) because other was now out of stock... I accept
  • Third delivery, finally boots up fine (Win10 home btw), but several things become apparent:

1. The water cooler is on the CPU upside down... without any obvious reason as the tubes have plenty of clearance either side, obv not my mistake, do I have any grounds to ask them to fix that? looks dumb/incompetent with the logo the wrong way up.
  2. Can't begin using/customizing windows properly because it turns out windows is not activated... says it was already used on another device, I assume that's just because of the MB change, I'm waiting for their email reply on that one, probably an easy fix but for a near $4k pc I'd expect they could have fixed this before sending back.. ugh.
  3. And here's where my question about being ripped off is relevant:
    PC properties states the windows installation was over a month before they even offered to give me the MB upgrade... so does this mean I was given a used motherboard?... or is this windows install date based on the previous install on my old MB and this info carries over? I wanna be sure before asking them about it. :/ they also didn't send the new MB box/manuals etc
Thnx for any help guys.

Last edited:
Solution
OK, yes.
Customizing...Desktop, Taskbar...that requires a fully activated OS.
And you WILL start to see a watermark at bottom right, nagging you to activate.

The dates of the OS is almost certainly due to them just mating the original drive_OS and the replacement motherboard.
That triggers a reactivation.
Which they should have done.

That should NOT be on you to do.
You paid good money for a fully functional product. You do not have a fully functional product.,

And the DOA? That IS their problem.
They shipped you a system that does not work.

glenjj

Honorable
Nov 8, 2015
You're right, both their fault and just lazy or incompetent, but I won't have bad blood towards them for DOA components as that's out of their control, and I'd rather not name the site.. yet lol, unless they did rip me off.

Guess I should have said that better mybad sorry (updated 1st post), I was going to start customizing windows when it popped up and said I'm not allowed to change windows because windows isn't activated, but had been activated on another device. So yeah I'm still able to install programs but I didn't bother until this is sorted, if I keep it at all...

Any feedback on my #3 MoBo question? was I given a used MB? or is the date because of the install on the previous MB?

thnx

USAFRet

Titan
OK, yes.

The dates of the OS is almost certainly due to them just mating the original drive_OS and the replacement motherboard.

You paid good money for a fully functional product. You do not have a fully functional product.,

Solution

glenjj

Honorable
Nov 8, 2015
OK, yes.

Yeah the OS swap should have been done to my new MB... no excuse. The upside down cooler is a silly mistake too.. and I'm stuck with their mistake.

But that's good that I wasn't duped and given a used MB, though I still will ask them to send me the original box, which comes with a lot of spare parts I would like..

True they should have not sent anything DOA, but that's the weird thing, they claimed to have tested it with all the usual furmark etc etc programs, twice, and said they only sent it back after all was tested working fine... hard to believe it died twice on the trip back to me seemingly... bad luck or they lied about testing.. not sure :/

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah the OS swap should have been done to my new MB... no excuse.
But that's good that I wasn't duped and given a used MB, though I still will ask them to send me the original box, which comes with a lot of spare parts I would like..

True they should have not sent anything DOA, but that's the weird thing, they claimed to have tested it with all the usual furmark etc etc programs, twice, and said they only sent it back after all was tested working fine... hard to believe it died twice on the trip back to me seemingly... bad luck or they lied about testing.. not sure :/
Just saying...incompetent boobs.
Too many things wrong.

If I bought a Dell and all this happened - Give me my money back.
Or Asus, HP, Whoever.

They have 100% of your money, you have a partial product.

glenjj

Honorable
Nov 8, 2015
Just saying...incompetent boobs.
Too many things wrong.

If I bought a Dell and all this happened - Give me my money back.
Or Asus, HP, Whoever.

They have 100% of your money, you have a partial product.

lol incompetent wanks indeed..., it's a custom build though, not a brand.

But yeah I'm considering my options now that I know at least the MB is indeed new, but I'm stuck with other issues..

So a stuck upside down cooler/logo, that's not a simple fix right? I've never installed one myself but it's locked onto it with the paste etc now I'm pretty sure.
Reactivating windows isn't too difficult? is there any downsides to that that I should be aware of? did I lose any value on it? etc, though I am speaking to support and they are quick to respond as it's still under warranty.

glenjj

Honorable
Nov 8, 2015
One last base to cover, so is there a legit reason it may have been installed upside down on purpose? looks like plenty of clearance for the tubes to be on the opposite side, right?
the cooler tubes were the other way around on my old MB which was basically identical in layout
Scr.jpg

glenjj

Honorable
Nov 8, 2015
Right.

So they had it correctly the first time, and just halfassed it the second time.
Personally, I'd be looking for a refund.

What else is wrong, that you've not yet discovered?
Yeah I think i got the trainee kid do my mb swap out lol... time will tell what else i may discover with my own stress testing in future, but for now I cant do anything but wait till monday and their reply on all this
Anyway thnx for the replies/help!