Question Are two 4 pin connectors equivalent to one 8 pin eps connector

Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I have an old Corsair cx400 PSU.
I have just bought new parts to upgrade my computer: a ryzen 5 2600, a gtx 1660 ventus, and an msi b450 gming plus max mb.

Based on the TDP the PSU should handle this alright (65w for the Ryzen, 130 or so for the GPu). Before I replace the PSU I want to try that (no overclocking will ever be done).

However the mb has an 8 pin EPS connector called cpu pwr1. My previous mb had only a 4 pin conn in addition to the std atx 24 pin conn.

It looks like the Corsais has 2 4 pin 12v connectors, AND it looks like (cannot remember!) it s actually a plittable 8 pin conn.... but I d like to be sure before I try.

Can you confirm? Is there any way to plug it wrong, or the mb sockets are shaped appropriately to prevent this?

Thank you!

Wolfshadw

Titan
Found these specs on the Newegg Listing for the Corsair CX400.

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4-Pin/8-Pin EPS Connector
6 x Peripheral
6 x SATA
2 x Floppy
1 x PCI-E

If these are accurate, then the EPS connector is likely a 4+4-pin connector as you're thinking.

However, your graphics card has an 8-pin PCIE power requirement and a 450watt power supply recommendation. According to the specifications of your power supply (as seen on Newegg), it only has one 6-pin PCIE power cable. It's not sufficient for your system and should be replaced.

-Wolf sends

Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply!
I know about the pci 8 pin, have a 2 molex to 8 pin adaptor for that. Considering that the gpu tdp is low and that I ve read succesful accounts of operating the card with lower quality 400 w psus, I want to try it. Should the computer freeze under high load, then I ll replace the P SU.

Thanks again!

Apr 5, 2020
Hello, Not to ditch some perfectly good equipment. It d have been a no name psu bought 20$, I d agree, but the cx400 is rated 30 amps on the 12v rail, that s 360w, while cpu + gpu are rated 65 + 120 = 185 w. Even rounded to 200, or 250, the PSU should be able to handle it.

If it does not work, which might be after all, then I risk only to get crashes, in which case I will of course replace the psu. The wrak link in the chain is rather the molex to 8 pin pci adapter I d say!

Thanks again

Apr 5, 2020
Agreed! Just wanted to point out the PSU is a good one, not a no name with nothing on the 12V rail.
The linkposted by Wolfshdw helped me remember that the EPS conn on the psu can double as 2 4 pin conns when split. My old mb needed only the one 4 pin conn.

TRENDING THREADS