[SOLVED] Are Vega 64 good? Or gtx 1080

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

malibu200786

Commendable
May 2, 2018
I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand powercolor red devil Vega 64 , for £200 are they any good ? How is this particular version of the card ? Would it be better to go for a gtx 1080 any version than the 64?

Solution
Yes, in my opinion you'd be better off with a GTX 1080 than a Vega 64. Everybody I know who had one of those cards had nothing but problems with them. Moreso the Sapphire Vega cards than Powercolor, but all of them really. At this late date, it's not worth it. There are just too many other better options. Much might depend on what resolution you are planning to game at?

Honestly, I would REALLY try to sway you away from buying EITHER of those cards, used. You're not going to get ANY warranty, no matter what the seller or anybody else tells you, been through this TOO MANY times with people looking to buy used hardware. In the end, they ALL have understood that, and either decided that was a factor they couldn't live with after shelling...
Thanks for the replies the capacity list is really useful because I was looking at getting a amd card but they need twice the power and pcie cables , so I'll probably end up with a gtx 1660super or 1080 or better if everything sorts itself out after Xmas .
I was looking at this psu https://www.ebuyer.com/975191-aerocool-integrator-mod-xt-750-acpb-it75akc-12
If it's anything other than a fan, and says Aerocool on the box, I'd highly recommend that you avoid it. ESPECIALLY if it's a power supply. Clearly you didn't read the "AVOID all these brands" section at the bottom of the model recommendations.

The link that has the capacity recommendation, is not up-to-date. The new 3000 series Nvidia cards and the new 6000 series AMD cards are not listed there. The top of the line from Nvidia requires a far better PSU than what the previous top of the line needed. AMD has done a good job when it comes to power requirement for these series.
Patience is a virtue. You have to realize that RealhardtechX does not go off manufacturer or other sites recommendations, and then just make a list of those. Their recommendations are based on a combination of industry recommendations AND their own testing for actual power consumption, so it usually takes a while for listings to be added after a new generation or architecture family is added. Just FYI.

The top of the line from Nvidia requires a far better PSU than what the previous top of the line needed.

Absolutely true though. 100%.

Reactions: dotas1
Back to the problem I'm having I've tried to get it on camera best I can how do I upload it to here ?
I don't see that there is anything to "try" or anything worth uploading in terms of "what it's doing" until you have replaced the power supply with one that is both new and known to be an acceptably good model. You're just spinning your wheels until then. There is nothing you CAN do, or SHOULD do, if you don't have an adequate power supply that you know for certain is giving all your hardware a clean, stable power source. In fact, you are liable to cause damage to something.