[SOLVED] Area for chassis fan connector on motherboard, but no pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 9, 2020
I'm new to pcs and I'm thinking about buying additional fans for better airflow for my pc. I have the Asrock B550AM Gaming M-ATX motherboard. I couldn't post a link for a clearer view of the motherboard, but you can search it up. I don't really understand how to connect the fans if I were to buy them. I researched about it a little and I was thinking of buying a fan hub/splitter and connect that to the connector labelled CHA_FAN2 on the bottom of the motherboard. However, when I looked at the area where CHA_FAN2 was, there were no pins so I'm kind of confused. How would I add additional fans?

Solution
It doesn't have pins for some reason. It's just labelled as CHA_FAN2, but I decided to buy a 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan adapter and I'll connect my fans there.

Probably because it's an OEM version of the motherboard and the manufacturer's requirements were for "no pins" at that location.
I'm new to pcs and I'm thinking about buying additional fans for better airflow for my pc. I have the Asrock B550AM Gaming M-ATX motherboard. I couldn't post a link for a clearer view of the motherboard, but you can search it up. I don't really understand how to connect the fans if I were to buy them. I researched about it a little and I was thinking of buying a fan hub/splitter and connect that to the connector labelled CHA_FAN2 on the bottom of the motherboard. However, when I looked at the area where CHA_FAN2 was, there were no pins so I'm kind of confused. How would I add additional fans?
Kinda stupid they didn't make use of the spots on the board for fan headers. According to the AsRock manual the waterpump fan connector can also be used for chassis fan. It's at the top near the CPU fan header. You could run a splitter off of it for a couple fans. They give you 2 amps (24 watts) which is plenty for a few fans. If you have that header populated by a water cooler fan you'll need to use something else.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1772958/Asrock-B550am-Gaming.html?page=11#manual

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020
From what I can find, that motherboard was not sold directly to users and was only used in Pre-built PCs.
So what exact make and model pre-built PC do you have ?
I have the CyberPowerPC - Gamer Supreme Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 16GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - 1TB SSD. It's the one from BestBuy, when you search it up. Sorry for the vagueness.

Oct 9, 2020
Kinda stupid they didn't make use of the spots on the board for fan headers. According to the AsRock manual the waterpump fan connector can also be used for chassis fan. It's at the top near the CPU fan header. You could run a splitter off of it for a couple fans. They give you 2 amps (24 watts) which is plenty for a few fans. If you have that header populated by a water cooler fan you'll need to use something else.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1772958/Asrock-B550am-Gaming.html?page=11#manual
Do you know what it's labelled as? I checked the area near the CPU fan header and I see it labelled as PWM.

Do you know what it's labelled as? I checked the area near the CPU fan header and I see it labelled as PWM.
There's only two 4-pin headers at the top that have the black plastic retention clips. One should have the CPU fan already plugged in and the other should be empty unless you have liquid cooling in your system. They're right next to each other with a different tiny 3-pin in-between them. The one you want says FAN2/WP

Oct 9, 2020
There's only two 4-pin headers at the top that have the black plastic retention clips. One should have the CPU fan already plugged in and the other should be empty unless you have liquid cooling in your system. They're right next to each other with a different tiny 3-pin in-between them. The one you want says FAN2/WP
I have liquid cooling in my system so that's in use.

Oct 9, 2020
Oh well I tried but you can always use a SATA powered fan hub. hopefully there's an open sata plug from the PSU?
Alright so, I looked at another manual for the same motherboard, and there seems to be 2 more CPU fan connectors. Maybe it's being blocked which prevented me from seeing it. I'll also look into what you said so thanks for your help.

Oct 9, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.