Question ARGB and Fan Speed

Sep 14, 2019
Any idea on how to control fan speed with a 3-pin ARGB header? I just bought a ThermalTake case with two 200mm ARGB fans. Since the fans get their power and RGB codes over the same wires, there isn't any control of the fan speed.

I've been searching and searching and it seems like it's not something that is done. Speed control is listed for 4-pin connectors, but that means 12v. PWM isn't even mentioned for 3-pin, 5v connectors.

Mystic Light doesn't mention fan speed or RPM in the manual, and while MSI's Dragon software mentions fan speed, per their website it is only compatible with X570 motherboards. And I've looked at stand-along ARGB controllers from Corsair, Phantek, Silverstone, Cooler Master and ThermalTake. They all get power from SATA and none of them mention anything at all about fan speed. The only "speed" control is over the lighting effects...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You bought Tt Commander C34 TG ARGB Edition case (specs)? If so, then front 2x 200mm fan speeds can't be controlled at all. They spin at 800 RPM, producing 29.2 dB(A) of noise all the time.

Only way to reduce the fan speed would be lowering the incoming voltage, but since fans are powered by 3-pin ARGB header, you can't reduce output voltage of that header. Even if you could, the LEDs won't work since they are designed to work with 5V, not 4.5V or 3V.

Sep 14, 2019
You bought Tt Commander C34 TG ARGB Edition case (specs)? If so, then front 2x 200mm fan speeds can't be controlled at all. They spin at 800 RPM, producing 29.2 dB(A) of noise all the time.

Only way to reduce the fan speed would be lowering the incoming voltage, but since fans are powered by 3-pin ARGB header, you can't reduce output voltage of that header. Even if you could, the LEDs won't work since they are designed to work with 5V, not 4.5V or 3V.

C33, but it's the same thing with a different face plate. Certainly seems louder than 29dB.

The controller card would use the 3-pin ARGB connector to the MB. The fans themselves connect to the controller with (what looks to be) a proprietary 5-pin connector. But I'm betting that could be re-pinned to somebody else's ARGB connector. My pseudo-electrician self says that the LEDs would be getting their own 5 volts, so the 5 volts to the fan could be modulated for speed - with the right controller.

I find it surprising that, after 15 (20?) years of controlling PC fan speeds for noise and temps, we've suddenly said "Meh. Fixed RPM is good enough. Look at the flashing lights!"

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If you're willing to jerry-rig it then yes, it could be possible to control the fan speed.

As far as current PC trends go, there are several that focus on eyecandy, while disregarding functionality. E.g any PC case that has solid front panel (be it plastic/metal or TG), has considerable handicap in frontal intake. Sure, TG front panel looks pretty but i'd rather take better cooling for my PC than prettier looks (oh, i can see my front fan LEDs through front grille and filter just fine, case: Corsair 760T V2 Black.)

Sep 14, 2019
Oh, I’m all about the airflow. These cases with solid glass fronts, breathing through tiny side vents, seem kinda silly. That’s why I went with a Commander series case. The front mesh is fairly open. I just know that I don’t need full airflow at idle.

All that said, doing some checking today I see the fans are TT-2030 12v fans and the controller has 6 wires for 12v, empty(?), 5v, DO, DI, and ground, so it should be fairly easy to hack the 12v to the case fan headers.

I’ll need to do some more research into how address protocols before I try using a stand-alone or motherboard header to control the LEDs.