Question ARGB connector location on Gigabyte Z590 motherboard?

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hello, need little help to get ARGB fan lights to work properly on Gigabyte Z590 motherboard.
I have the cable(for the fan light) connected to the motherboard, but fans are spinning in one colour(orange) rather constantly switching to different colours automatically.. and I think it's due to the fact that Gigabyte motherboard require different ARGB fan light connector on the motherboard because they worked fine on my previous Asus/MSI motherboards.

I have Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master in CoolerMaster H500 case(which has two 200mm ARGB fans) and there are two different types of ARGB fan light cables.
One of the ARGB fan light cable is 4pins which is the one I've used on different motherboards so far without any issue, and that's the cable I'm using on Gigabyte Z590 atm.
gC3Tdic.jpg

i.e. I have the 4pin ARGB fan light cable connected to "D_LED1" on the motherboard atm.

But CoolerMaster fans have another ARGB fan light cable which is 3pins and there's a little marking on that fan header which says "For Gigabyte".
I never had to use this ARGB fan light cable(3pins) on previous motherboards, but I assume this is the one I have to use for Gigabyte motherboard?
But if that's the case, I'm still not sure where(on the motherboard) I need to connect this cable.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Ralston18

Titan
Look at the pinouts.

Map/match individual pins and sockets with respect to the 3 pin and 4 pin "options" and the motherboards you have used.

Here is a generic link (not a solution) to get you started:

https://fixingport.com/connect-rgb-fans-to-motherboard/

Refer to all of the applicable Gigabyte motherboard, fan and related hardware (controllers perhaps) documentation to work out the required connections.

Post what you work out, include a simple pin by pin sketch, and and ask any remaining questions.

Reactions: Gintama69

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Thank for the info and the link.

Apparently only the older Gigabyte mobos used 3 pin ARGB connectors, and looks like I already have the ARGB cable connected correctly on my Gigabyte mobo.
But I still don't know the why fans only stay in one colour(orange), maybe I need to change a setting in the mobo BIOS or need to install Gigabyte App to enable the ARGB fans to automatically change colours?
(ARGB fans changed colours automatically on my previous MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon mobo once I connected the 4 pin ARGB cable to the mobo).

Ralston18

Titan
Likely an app.

Why? It really does not make much sense to just have hardware that lights up in pretty colors either fixed or minimally controlled by some basic code via firmware . The entire color concept of changing colors with speeds, patterns, in a dynamic way is what makes RGB etc. appealing to people. In time with music, etc..

My general sense of things is that with RGB/ARGB etc. being "hot" is that manufacturer's are just sticking "RGB" in any where they can just for the sake of sales. Product X may have LED's etc. but really getting those LED's to do something is left to the end user to figure out. If there really is any thing that can be done to begin with.

And with no real standards per se regarding RGB then it all gets more complicated with proprietary connections and pin combos.

For the most part trying to determine what will and will not work takes some effort and paying close attention to the documentation. (Which is often another whole different set of issues.) Look for what is said as well as what is "not said".

Ignore the marketing and advertising photos. Read fine print and caveats. "Compatible with" can mean that X can be plugged (physically fits) into Y. Not that connection actually works as might be expected....

Key is to be patient enough and careful enough to not mis-connect something and fry some component.

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Fixed the ARGB fan colour issue other day.. all I had to do was to install Gigabyte RGB Fusion software and change the fan colours manually.
I had everything connected to the mobo correctly from the start, cos 3pin ARGB fan light connector cables for only used for older Gigabyte mobos.

Never bothered to use any manufacturer's software to change the RGB fan colours until now.. but looks like each mobo has default set colours for ARGB fans, cos RGB fan colours stayed on following on each mobo without the use of software from my experience:
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master: orange
MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon: colour cycle
Asus Z390 Maximus XI Extreme: purple
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite: light blue

Jul 24, 2021
Fixed the ARGB fan colour issue other day.. all I had to do was to install Gigabyte RGB Fusion software and change the fan colours manually.
I had everything connected to the mobo correctly from the start, cos 3pin ARGB fan light connector cables for only used for older Gigabyte mobos.

Never bothered to use any manufacturer's software to change the RGB fan colours until now.. but looks like each mobo has default set colours for ARGB fans, cos RGB fan colours stayed on following on each mobo without the use of software from my experience:
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master: orange
MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon: colour cycle
Asus Z390 Maximus XI Extreme: purple
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite: light blue
I have a similar issue. Got a Coolermaster Case and a Gigabyte MoBo. The already tagged For Gigabyte connector, doesn't have any place in my Gigabyte mobo to be connected.
On the other side, the non branded ARGB connector/jack, that has a tiny triangle in one side, is could fit in the D_Led connector pins of my Gigabyte Z590 Mobo. How have you fixed?