Question ARGB Fan Headers compatible in my build?

Jul 6, 2019
Hello, I am about to build a new set up, and I want it to be fully rainbow puke (RGB) compatible.

So long story short, with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, the Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming ATX MOBO and 4x Masterfan MF140R ARGB, I want to be able to control the Aura settings from the MOBO
Because of the 4x connectors I need for the fans I'm thinking of using the case PWM Hub, so I should connect this to the CPU_Fan connector or on the ARGB Header of the MOBO in order to the the Aura Control for the fans???

I hope this is understandable, if not please tell me so I can explain further. All I want is for all my RGB pieces to play in synchrony =)

Thanks in advance

Jul 4, 2019
The CPU fan output is made for a CPU cooling component, therefore if you hook a fan hub up to it you would be linking the motherboards default CPU temperature fan curve to all of your case fans, which might not necessarily be a bad thing but what is cooling your CPU? Whatever is cooling your CPU is going to have to connect to that PWM hub also. Another thing, are the masterfans controlled by there own software or are they compatible with Asus's AURA software, make sure the fans are able to be controlled by AURA or a 3rd party software.
Hello, I am about to build a new set up, and I want it to be fully rainbow puke (RGB) compatible.

So long story short, with the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, the Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming ATX MOBO and 4x Masterfan MF140R ARGB, I want to be able to control the Aura settings from the MOBO
Because of the 4x connectors I need for the fans I'm thinking of using the case PWM Hub, so I should connect this to the CPU_Fan connector or on the ARGB Header of the MOBO in order to the the Aura Control for the fans???

I hope this is understandable, if not please tell me so I can explain further. All I want is for all my RGB pieces to play in synchrony =)

Thanks in advance

Jul 6, 2019
The CPU fan output is made for a CPU cooling component, therefore if you hook a fan hub up to it you would be linking the motherboards default CPU temperature fan curve to all of your case fans, which might not necessarily be a bad thing but what is cooling your CPU? Whatever is cooling your CPU is going to have to connect to that PWM hub also. Another thing, are the masterfans controlled by there own software or are they compatible with Asus's AURA software, make sure the fans are able to be controlled by AURA or a 3rd party software.

Hey, thank you for replying.

I guess I messed that up, first time building here and I'm still investigating a lot.

Yes, the CPU fan connector should be for my Noctua NH-U9S, thank you for pointing that out, my mistake. So then I think the question should be if the PWM hub connects to any of the fan connectors, see Image, and if that is enough to provide control over both the ARGB and the fan speeds.
The masterfans are compatible with Aura software.

Thanks in advance again !

Jul 4, 2019
Its all good. Do you know if the PWM fan hub is powered by a power supplies SATA connector or does it just split one 4 pin fan connector into 4. Most fan hubs are powered via SATA as one listed here. And if you put individually addressable RGB fans into one output they would be discovered in the software as one fan in most cases. Unless its a special fan hub, for example the NZXT hue+ has 4 outputs and you have to plug one fan into the designed slot for that fan to be addressable individually. Basically if that's confusing all of the fans would do the same thing which is what you want, you most likely wont have control over a individual fan (ex. if you want one fan to be red and another fan to be blue you wouldn't be able to do that) To answer your question everything should be fine accept for the fact that you might not be able to

Also if your worried about it not working I will have a great fan hub for RGB fans that have individual addressable outputs below.
Thermaltake Fan Hub Up To 9 Connections

If none of this makes sense ask more questions im more than happy.

Jul 6, 2019
Its all good. Do you know if the PWM fan hub is powered by a power supplies SATA connector or does it just split one 4 pin fan connector into 4. Most fan hubs are powered via SATA as one listed here. And if you put individually addressable RGB fans into one output they would be discovered in the software as one fan in most cases. Unless its a special fan hub, for example the NZXT hue+ has 4 outputs and you have to plug one fan into the designed slot for that fan to be addressable individually. Basically if that's confusing all of the fans would do the same thing which is what you want, you most likely wont have control over a individual fan (ex. if you want one fan to be red and another fan to be blue you wouldn't be able to do that) To answer your question everything should be fine accept for the fact that you might not be able to

Also if your worried about it not working I will have a great fan hub for RGB fans that have individual addressable outputs below.
Thermaltake Fan Hub Up To 9 Connections

If none of this makes sense ask more questions im more than happy.

I think I understand this better now, the hub comes with a 12v SATA connector and a 4pin to 4pin cable, so if I got this correctly, then I should only use 1 or the other.
According to some more research I've been doing, if I use the SATA connector, the fans will work as if they were DC, and if I use the 4 to 4 pin cable, they will draw power from the mobo and thus work as PWM (to regulate speed), even if they are treated as a single fan, since I will have them all in the same color config. This is what the HUB looks like

Now the thing is, will this 4 pin connection allow the fans to have the Aura software, which both the fans and MOBO are compatible, with ARGB configuration or will this work as simple RGB?
(I know there is just a minor difference between ARGB and RGB sigh)
Since I wouldn't want to buy another fan hub just for that.

Thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS