[SOLVED] ARGB fan spinning but not lighting up

Jul 26, 2022
I lately build my own pc using the kolink inspire 11 case, which comes with an umbra ARGB fan. i have a msi b550 gaming plus motherboard. i plugged the fan into sys_fan slot and the jrgb slot and while the fan spins the rgb part doesn't work, i don't think that the power supply is the problem because my computer works perfectly fine

Solution
How many pins are there on the end of the RGB cable going to your fan, and how many pins are there on the header you have it plugged into? Because if your fans are ARGB they should be three pin and they should be plugged into the jrainbow headers, not the 4 pin jrgb headers. If that's the case and they are plugged into the wrong header I'm very surprised nothing has fried.
How many pins are there on the end of the RGB cable going to your fan, and how many pins are there on the header you have it plugged into? Because if your fans are ARGB they should be three pin and they should be plugged into the jrainbow headers, not the 4 pin jrgb headers. If that's the case and they are plugged into the wrong header I'm very surprised nothing has fried.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
Jul 26, 2022
You're right i think i fried the rgb cable because now i plug it into jrainbow and it doesn't work either.
Also the pins on the cable are the 3 that are placed with the 1 and 2 seperate from 3 by 1 empty space
and the header has 4

Be VERY glad that you didn't fry the board, and potentially other hardware if any protections fail which does happen.

So, just be aware in the future that regular RGB is generally 12v with a 4 pin connector and ARGB (And all it's variants in naming, which a lot of these companies try using their own names with rather than just calling it addressable RGB) is generally 5v with a 3 pin connector. Hopefully all you need is a new fan if you choose to get one for the ARGB. Good luck man.