Question argb fans not working on new mobo.

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
So recently i bought a new motherboard (msi b550 pro-vdh wifi) and i cant seem to make my two argb fans light up with the msi mystic light software. I have the two fans connected via a coolermaster ARGB splitter cable yo my JRAIBOW1 connector of the motherboard. On my previous one it worked perfectly fine, but now it doesnt. The fans spin just fine, its the argb what doesnt light up or cant be modyfied via MSI mystic light. I tried also with the openrgb software but no luck and i even reset the motherboard pullying out the cmos battery for 15 minutes, with all te cables disconected from the wall and pushing the power button for 30 seconds. Any advice?

system specs:
SYSTEM SPECS:
ryzen 5 5600 with id cooling se 224 xt
msi b550m pro vdh wifi
Rx 6700xt saphire pulse
2x8 gb patriot viper steel 3600mhz ram
2 ssds
2 hdds
Psu xfx 650 w 80 plus bronze
Case: silverstone FARA H1M
fans: id cooling tf 12025 argb
Cooler master splittercable i use: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/rgb-accessories/argb-1-to-5-splitter-cable/

Ralston18

Titan
From the above Coolermaster link:

"Compatible with ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE and ASROCK"

"Compatible with" is automatic flag to my mind. Compatible could simply mean that the plug physically fits into the socket. What about the number and orientation of the pins?

Noted the small triangles on the plugs - any chance that one or more of the plugs are in the wrong way? What does the triangle mean? I cannot determine if the plugs are designed to install only one way to protect polarity etc.

You will need to look at all cable connectors (male, female) pins and ports to map everything out pin by pin.

Voltages, ground (earth) etc..

Including the fans and the motherboard's JRAIBOW1 connector.

Reactions: Ramiro.Giorgi

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
From the above Coolermaster link:

"Compatible with ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE and ASROCK"

"Compatible with" is automatic flag to my mind. Compatible could simply mean that the plug physically fits into the socket. What about the number and orientation of the pins?

Noted the small triangles on the plugs - any chance that one or more of the plugs are in the wrong way? What does the triangle mean? I cannot determine if the plugs are designed to install only one way to protect polarity etc.

You will need to look at all cable connectors (male, female) pins and ports to map everything out pin by pin.

Voltages, ground (earth) etc..

Including the fans and the motherboard's JRAIBOW1 connector.
i mean, the small triangle is on both sides of the plug, ON THE SAME SIDE in the male connector and in the female connector as well,and becouse both are a 3 pin connector there is only one side which is right to plug it in. I dont know if you understand me. And what do you mean by saying "map everything pin by pin". Thx for the reply.

Ralston18

Titan
If both the plug (male) and the connector (female) are marked then double check that the triangles are all together. The plug triangles being next to the connector triangles if I follow correctly.

= = = =

Mapping

This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C95v1.7.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct motherboard manual.]

Physically numbered Pages 39 and 40 show the locations of RGB connectors.

Note also that Page 39 is for RGB LED Fans and Page 40 is for addressable RGB LED Fans.

Both pages have an "Important" flag and Page has a Caution Flag. Specifically:

"Do not connect the wrong type of LED strips. The JRGB connector and the JRAINBOW connector provide different voltages, and connecting the 5V LED strip to the JRGB connector will result in damage to the LED strip."

Page 40 showing two connectors labeled JRAINBOW-1 and JRAINBOW-2.

Each JRAINBOW connector has 4 (four) pin positions but only 3 (three) pins are present.

Pin 1 = 5 volts
Pin 2 = Data
Pin 3 = No Pin
Pin 4 =Ground (Also referred to as earth).

So the fans and cables being used must also have pins that match both physical position and function.

For example if you plug into JRGB-1 or JRGB-2 (Page 39) DO NOT DO THAT then you would be putting 12 volts in via Pin 1 - not 5 volts.

Do the id cooling tf 12025 argb fans plugs and connectors match (map) pin for pin? And voltages?

If not, then the fans may not fully work in some manner.

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
If both the plug (male) and the connector (female) are marked then double check that the triangles are all together. The plug triangles being next to the connector triangles if I follow correctly.

= = = =

Mapping

This motherboard?

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C95v1.7.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct motherboard manual.]

Physically numbered Pages 39 and 40 show the locations of RGB connectors.

Note also that Page 39 is for RGB LED Fans and Page 40 is for addressable RGB LED Fans.

Both pages have an "Important" flag and Page has a Caution Flag. Specifically:

"Do not connect the wrong type of LED strips. The JRGB connector and the JRAINBOW connector provide different voltages, and connecting the 5V LED strip to the JRGB connector will result in damage to the LED strip."

Page 40 showing two connectors labeled JRAINBOW-1 and JRAINBOW-2.

Each JRAINBOW connector has 4 (four) pin positions but only 3 (three) pins are present.

Pin 1 = 5 volts
Pin 2 = Data
Pin 3 = No Pin
Pin 4 =Ground (Also referred to as earth).

So the fans and cables being used must also have pins that match both physical position and function.

For example if you plug into JRGB-1 or JRGB-2 (Page 39) DO NOT DO THAT then you would be putting 12 volts in via Pin 1 - not 5 volts.

Do the id cooling tf 12025 argb fans plugs and connectors match (map) pin for pin? And voltages?

If not, then the fans may not fully work in some manner.
the manual is correct indeed. i plugged the funs correctly they are ARGB so i puth them both on my Jranbow_1 and Jrainbow_2 and no luck. I think its a software problem not cable problem. Im trying different solutions found on the internet, such as installying any anticheats or toggle the on and off switch of the led controler in the bios menu of the motherboard, even i uninstalled it all the programs, deleted the msi folder and re-installed it again but no luck dude. Im getting really mad haha.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You are right, OP. You cannot connect the 3-hole female connector of an ARGB light system wrongly to its 3-pin header, not to the incorrect 40-pin plain RGB header.

You upgraded your mobo. Did you also get rid of any utility fro lighting on the OLD mobo? You should have replaced any such with the new version of MSI Mystic Light that comes with the new mobo. Maybe even update that utility if there is an update.

I do NOT know if this idea is pertinent, but you can check. ARGB lights now come in two versions - original, and Ver 2. The require different signals from the header. The utility supplied (in your case, MSI Msytic Light) normally allows you to set which type of lights you have plugged in. Many arrive set to the new Version 2. If you have original ARGB type (quite possible), you may have to look in Mystic Light for an option to set which lighting type you have.

Reactions: Ramiro.Giorgi

Ramiro.Giorgi

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
You are right, OP. You cannot connect the 3-hole female connector of an ARGB light system wrongly to its 3-pin header, not to the incorrect 40-pin plain RGB header.

You upgraded your mobo. Did you also get rid of any utility fro lighting on the OLD mobo? You should have replaced any such with the new version of MSI Mystic Light that comes with the new mobo. Maybe even update that utility if there is an update.
I did. I had an asrock mobo ,before the msi, with the polychrome sync software the first thing i did was after i installed the msi mystic light, uninstall the pollychromesync. I also tried to look for an asrock folder on the C: drive, to delete it, but i had no luck.
I do NOT know if this idea is pertinent, but you can check. ARGB lights now come in two versions - original, and Ver 2. The require different signals from the header. The utility supplied (in your case, MSI Msytic Light) normally allows you to set which type of lights you have plugged in. Many arrive set to the new Version 2. If you have original ARGB type (quite possible), you may have to look in Mystic Light for an option to set which lighting type you have.
Mmm thats intresting...where should i look for that in the app? Couse i didnt see anything like that

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't use Mystic Light, so I cannot advise where. I imagine it will bne somewhere in the screens where you odentify the individual light strings (or fans) you have and set their properties.