ARM-Based Notebooks Are On The Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

suoeno

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
So we have Win 8 ARM (a pretty weird MS balancing act if you ask me but..), Android and MeeGo as the added OS incentives for these notebooks.There's also an attempt by Bodhi Linux for an ARM build.

G

I will buy, but only if Window 8 ARM OS can do similar thing as window 7.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
All we need is for one of these companies to licence ARM processers, with AMD video, and you would have a really cool notebook.

I could only imagion what it would be like to have a ARM based notebook that was actually cross fire compatible 0.o what would it be used for i wonder?

G

In 5 years, ARM will be suing Intel for bribing the OEMs into not launching their products, and gimping the ones they do. You'll know it when you see that an ARM CPU with 2w TDP cannot beat an Atom or CULV laptop in battery life. Intel fanboys will defend the practice, saying that TDP != battery life, because the ARM chip must be less efficient and have inferior power management.

Once they hit the retail, we'll see if the ARM based offerings can jump the x86 programs fence. If you were to install Win8 with no programs, u'd be better off installing Linux (in any flavor) instead of paying for and OS with no programs to run in.

And don't get me wrong here. I want RISC to make a comeback and drive more innovation around it, but we all know big brother Intel won't make it easy: not on the OEM's and not on the Developers.

Cheers!

G

HOLLY GOD ARE TOMS' READERS MISINFORMED. GO TO FUCKING SCHOOL, PICK UP A BOOK. SO MUCH MINDLESS ADVOCATING FOR SOMETHING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.
FAIL.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Arm is going to fall so hard the moment people realize that each architecture change= no compatibility with older programs. Why do you think the new phones coming out don't just have the A15 which is 50% faster than the A9 arch ARM? Intel will be able to stay ahead with optimization of process and arch...the juggernaut is not going down without a fight.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]Arm is going to fall so hard the moment people realize that each architecture change= no compatibility with older programs. Why do you think the new phones coming out don't just have the A15 which is 50% faster than the A9 arch ARM? Intel will be able to stay ahead with optimization of process and arch...the juggernaut is not going down without a fight.[/citation]
Microsoft has already stated that there will be no compatability issues

G

Microsoft said no compatability issues? Are we 5 years old? Even going from Win for Workgroups to Win95 caused compatability problems. Going from Win98/ME to Win2k caused compatability issues (move to NT code base). Move from WinXP to Win7 caused compatability issues (hence the XP mode addition). Now moving to a whole new architecture won't cause compatability problems? Hey, I had NT on the Alpha with FX32! and it still had plenty of compatability problems.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
As long as they will not equip netbooks with lighter batteries to compensate, I think this might be a good buy! Besides, netbooks are sold for 299, dualcore atom netbooks around 360!

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
If it has good battery life and you can put linux on it, I might buy. Right now I don't need an Android OS on a computer, cell phone is enough.

With 9w 0ntario, 18w Zacate and 17w Sandy Bridge's, who the heck would want an ARM based computer? AMD is already selling notebooks in the $299 range. I think ARM missed their opportunity to take over that market, it's a bit late now.

G

GeekApproved = smart. Intel has owned that market for 3 years and it's a falling market. The battery life on those devices is already > 8 hours for most of them and dual core Atom without the Nvidia graphics will give you over 10 hours of battery life and a LOT more power than an Atom CPU for about $300 anyway. You may get an hour extra battery life but no compatability. It's a poor buy. I'm more interested in ARM in the data center. A software-less ARM netbook is basically a tablet.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
ARM based notebooks are interesting and the pricing is very similar to netbooks, I believe these ARM based notebooks will be a game changer especially when Windows 8 is released.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]With 9w 0ntario, 18w Zacate and 17w Sandy Bridge's, who the heck would want an ARM based computer? AMD is already selling notebooks in the $299 range. I think ARM missed their opportunity to take over that market, it's a bit late now.[/citation]

I don't think your realize how efficient ARM architecture is.

Even 9W is still 5 times the max power consumption of current 1GHz dual core Cortex A9 based SOCs... and those are nowhere near 5 times slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.