ARM Launches Mali 600 GPUs with OpenCL Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
nice specs or not...i need to see proof on how much more efficient it is when compared with the competition....number speak volumes....fail

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
IF they can do Direct X 11, they can also do full OpenGL 4.3!
Give us OpenGL 4.3 you guys, we know the chip can do it anyway because it can do Direct X 11

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
If it supports DX11, will it be possible to run dx 9 and 10 code also?

If so then that will make it easier to port over console and PC games since the most complex parts of the games will not need to be rewritten.

And if it is truly 50% faster than their previous GPU, then that means we will be at a level of performance close to that of the xbox 360

(if that GPU can be used on a android based gaming system, or a tablet, then a user can easily use a xbox 360 or PS3 controller which already works with android)

G

I realistically don't care what API's it supports, anything can be designed support an API. What matters is actual performance at a given resolution. It makes no sense to boast what API's it supports when it can only output those awesome looking graphics at a maximum resolution of 640x360.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]I thought it wasn't until about 2014 that tablets are estimated to reach PS360 game capability.[/citation]

With a release now it won't be in products on the shelf until 2014 so the estimate is correct.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]With a release now it won't be in products on the shelf until 2014 so the estimate is correct.[/citation]
yeah. i believe nvidia had made that estimate. they know their shit. :D

peperiro

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
This chip can't handle OpenGL 4.0, because this type of GPU's only handle OpenGL *ES* versions, a subset of the 'mainstream' OpenGL. The last version of this is the 3.0.

And perhaps supports DirectX 11, but is very probable that this not mean that you can run DirectX 10 or 9 code without change. Low power chipsets have very limitations in options and funcionality in comparison with the desk PC GPU's, and the shaders arquitechture and implementation rules have some fundamental differences too.

The new handhelds GPU's are true impresive, but in numerical power and programation resources are very far to traditional mainstream GPU's and the (now some dated) last generation consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.