ARM Preps Entry In 64-bit Server Market

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Maybe ARM will be able to challenge intel at some point since AMD is a lost cause.[/citation]

with how bad bulldozer turned out to be ARM would have a good chance of taking the number 2 spot in the CPU race

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Projected raw processing power per core, clock to clock = Ivy Bridge based Xeon x3
2 to 128 cores on a single SoC (Server On a Chip) with integrated I/O
Down to 300mW idle power for the entire SoC

Intel (and AMD). Hell has just frozen over. Game over!

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
stop saying that AMD is dead. I mean, come on, they are doing well in the gpu and apu market, and they have a small but millionaire share in the desktop and server market.

People used to say the same about Apple like 12 years ago (when PC overwhelmed them) and look at them now.

It's nice that ARM is entering the server market. I hope they enter the desktop market as well, competition is good for the economy.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]julianbautista87[/nom]stop saying that AMD is dead. I mean, come on, they are doing well in the gpu and apu market, and they have a small but millionaire share in the desktop and server market. People used to say the same about Apple like 12 years ago (when PC overwhelmed them) and look at them now.It's nice that ARM is entering the server market. I hope they enter the desktop market as well, competition is good for the economy.[/citation]

... they became a music than phone company and finally made money?

G

Forgive my ignorance, but what does ARM-64 have that MIPS-64 doesn't? I mean, I know MIPS64 is old, but what is the advantage of ARM designs? Is ARM just being more aggressive with ISA and microarchitecture improvements?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Yea, as someone else mentioned.

Apple only lives because of the phone/gadget market, not computers.. They can't even pwn the laptop segments...

Apple for all intents and purposes is now a phone maker. The dream of apple taking over the pc market died long ago... and that is, was, and forever will be their undoing(proprietary, unwilling to open the hardware/OS)

tofu2go

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Does anyone else think that ARM could actually be a bigger threat to AMD then Intel? Intel's niche is mainstream performance computing. ARM's is mobile devices. ARM will gradually scale up in performance, while Intel will scale down for mobile. Where does that leave AMD? Somewhere in the middle where it will be crushed on two fronts? Or perhaps HPC with its emphasis on extreme parallel processing? On that front, AMD would have compete with IBM's Power architecture.

AMD unable to compete with Intel on raw processing power is trying to change the game by focusing on integration between CPU and GPU. Well Nvidia is doing the same, but doing it with ARM. The Tegra's got multiple, low power ARM cores paired with Nvidia GPU technology. As ARM scales up, what will AMD be left with?

For now, ARM and x86 are kept separated by desktop vs mobile operating systems... but just wait... when Microsoft releases Windows and Office for ARM, and Apple starts putting ARM into Macbooks...

G

Apple isn't putting ARM into MacBooks. They dumped PowerPC for a reason. ARM is still a very SLOW processor. Going 64-bit doesn't ensure them entry into a MacBook nor does it mean it will become a powerful server architecture. What they can do is low power and a low power data center that saves customers money could be a big deal. I know MS nudged Intel about building a 128 core ATOM CPU that would solve a lot of their power issues. With news like this, I'm sure Intel is listening now.

The issue will become though do you save on power while greatly losing IPC. In 2014, Intel will be running 14nm Tri-gate technology on both ATOM rebranded and the next x86 technology. Both of those CPUs are SURE to be strong. The 14nm ATOM will have super low power and it will have a greatly improved IPC, plus greatly improved integrated graphics. The next x86 technology will be a great deal faster than what we're expecting with Ivy Bridge.

Despite this news from ARM, 2014 will be a tough market to crack for them as low performing processors may take it on the chin.

afaik arm licences their tech out to other companies that make chips.
intel vs amd vs arm(whoever makes arm server chips) would be interesting.
people who are bashing bulldozer should note that bulldozer server cpus i.e. interlagos and valencia are slightly different from the desktop dud(zambezi) they released.
xeon cpus may be more powerful that amd's opterons, but they're also costlier.
people would choose whatever tech is cheaper to build servers. iirc some people built servers from ps3/ps2 because of their tech. some built servers using atom cpus too.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]shreeharsha[/nom]This will be British tech vs US tech[/citation]

Er...no...at least half the ppl at intel are Asian...don't know about ARM, though it's sort of likely...so both companies are pretty much multi-cultural...

Though, yeah, I mean Intel is an American company, and ARM is British, but their tech is certainly not....

AMD is not dead but the way they are these days they are on a verge of dying. if ARM is able to come out with a CPU better than any AMD (which wouldn't be that hard) and able to make the CPU's cheaper then AMD's dollar store CPU's then they are finished :bounce:

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
[citation][nom]tofu2go[/nom]Does anyone else think that ARM could actually be a bigger threat to AMD then Intel?

[/citation]

That could be good or bad for AMD. They ARE getting pinched between ARM and Intel. However the monopoly status would no longer apply and Intel could buy AMD for their graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.