ARM Releases Guide to Enable 2 GHz Cortex-A9 Manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tristan_b

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
I already feel out of date with my dual core 1.2ghz exynos processor.

But the question is, is it just high clock speeds and no performance, like bulldozer? Because the galaxy s2 original on att with the 1.2ghz processor beats the new skyrocket with the 1.5ghz dual core, because the snapdragon 3 is just no good.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]friskiest[/nom]Could Toms just blacklist any post with the LazyCash.com (qikr.co/6phqn)? It'll be best for everyone in here.[/citation]
You should probably remove that link – I almost reported it as spam (I've seen subtle spam before similar to that).

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]ARM going the same route as intel did with pentium... ARM architecture seems pretty rubbish to me.[/citation]

What does a power efficient architecture getting a clock frequency boost by going on a smaller production process node has to do with Pentium (I'm assuming you mean Netburst technology here) where Intel promised we'd see 10GHz in "a few years". Only to find out that if their architecture indeed reached 10GHz the energy density would be greater than in a thermonuclear meltdown?

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]GloFo can barely do 32nm for AMD. Now they have 28nm for other people?[/citation]

This comment is flawed - AMD CPU's have a far, far higher transistor count per core than Cortex A9.

It stands to reason that less complex units are easier to manufacture.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]GloFo can barely do 32nm for AMD. Now they have 28nm for other people?[/citation]
It is just that the 32-bit RISC (by ARM Holdings) is easier to manufacture/fabricate than x86. That's a fact.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
If there no competition in the 22nm market when intel introduces their cpus, be prepared for prices that we haven seen since the early 2000s, before AMD pushed thier shit in.

Intel makes you pay for the best :p

Status
Not open for further replies.