Question Arris SBG6950AC2 Modem/Router When modem is unplugged most websites dont load but some do, only fixed with factory reset,

takemeunder

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Just bought a new modem/router to replace my Mediacom modem to save money and it has a very strange issue.

Every time the modem is unplugged or restarted it comes back with EXTREMELY limited functionality (only a few websites load, most devices don't work) and this is only remedied with a factory reset. Every single time it is restarted or unplugged it has to be factory reset for it to work normally. I am unable to modify any settings on it that require a restart because that makes the issue occur. I've spent hours talking to Mediacom and Arris and neither are any help.

I have no idea what is causing this. Thanks very much for any information.

Ralston18

Titan
You replaced a modem with a modem/router combo.

Did you remove the original router or otherwise disable its' DHCP IP address functions?

Path with new device should be something like the following line diagram:

ISP----coax or DSL line ---> Arris Modem/router -----Ethernet---> Wired devices and ~~~> wireless devices.

Update and correct the line diagram as necessary to show your current network configuration.

Include make and model information for each connected device.

Why is the modem being unplugged and restarted?

takemeunder

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
No it was a modem/router combo that I also replaced. Mediacom's modem/router is unplugged and removed from my "service page" and just sitting in the corner.

And yes that is the path I have now. My PC is a desktop PC, I tried a Nintendo Switch, my LG G5 phone and a laptop and when the Arris is disconnected and reconnected I have to factory reset otherwise I have extremely limited functionality (really only Youtube and Google work) and my phone (wifi), laptop (wifi) and Switch (ethernet) don't work at all.

I just unplugged it to move it as when setting it up I had it out in the most accessible area so I wanted to move it. Every single time I unplug and plug it back in I have to factory reset it. And some functions on the Arris' configuration page require it to be restarted - which also causes the issue.