jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Will Arrow Lake be faster than Meteor Lake? How much faster do you think it would be than 12-14th gen. CPUs and what would be the decrease in temperatures?

Would it be better (in terms of animation) to get a Core i7-14700 and Noctua NH-U12S (cooler) today or wait until Arrow Lake hits the shelves? Would it lower down 12-14th gen. CPU prices when it arrives and once again - would the performance and lower temperatures really be worth the wait (lower temperatures are to be expected in terms of the lower nanometer technology)?

Would the jump and all the respects regarding it - performance, temperatures and pricing - really be worthwhile? The machine would be used for animation so the better the CPU - the better in general.

Thank you!

Will Arrow Lake be faster than Meteor Lake? How much faster do you think it would be than 12-14th gen. CPUs and what would be the decrease in temperatures?
Nobody knows, if they actually get rid of hyperthreading they might end up with zero performance difference, and that is if the new features can even compensate for hyperthreading.
(lower temperatures are to be expected in terms of the lower nanometer technology)?
No, lower nanometers means more transistors in the same amount of space and that means more heat in the same amount of space, the more heat you have in the same amount of space the harder it is to cool.

Lower nano, in theory, means that you can get the same performance with lower clocks and/or less power but then you don't get any, or very little, performance increase.

The only way for the new CPUs to be less hot is if the node is a lot less advanced and unable to use a lot of power. Or, of course, if intel decides to enforce a power limit but I doubt that happening.

Last edited:

jnjnilson6

Distinguished
Nobody knows, if they actually get rid of hyperthreading they might end up with zero performance difference, and that is if the new features can even compensate for hyperthreading.

No, lower nanometers means more transistors in the same amount of space and that means more heat in the same amount of space, the more heat you have in the same amount of space the harder it is to cool.

Lower nano, in theory, means that you can get the same performance with lower clocks and/or less power but then you don't get any, or very little, performance increase.

The only way for the new CPUs to be less hot is if the node is a lot less advanced and unable to use a lot of power. Or, of course, if intel decides to enforce a power limit but I doubt that happening.
When do you think nanometer technology will stop descending? We're talking about such smallness it is hardly imaginable. Sooner or later it's got to get really difficult to go down. I am still amazed at how rapidly nanometers have decreased thusly.

Reactions: Order 66
When do you think nanometer technology will stop descending? We're talking about such smallness it is hardly imaginable. Sooner or later it's got to get really difficult to go down. I am still amazed at how rapidly nanometers have decreased thusly.
They are not as small as you might think, nm doesn't mean much anymore, the transistors are much larger than the nm they are called.

Also going as small as possible isn't that crucial anymore since they can stack stuff now or just add many tiles, most of the space of any CPU is just wasted, there is a lot of space to make CPU dies larger if they ever need to.
All that blue/green area could be CPU die...
untitled-2.png