[SOLVED] Artifacts on desktop programs

ribasmudj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Hey all, recently I started getting corrupted textures/artifacts in some of the programs on desktop but it has a weird behavior. Here's an example of how it looks in Rockstar Launcher and it's similar in other programs too, like Gog galaxy 2 etc.

ktmjjkf.png

This only happens in programs (not Windows apps or games) and not all programs either, but it's affecting more and more of them. Now these artifacts mostly dissapear when I mouse over the program, but then they start appearing when I move the mouse outside the window or if alt tab to another window. Sometimes they start appearing even mouse is within the window so no idea why.

I'm worried that it's a GPU problem but I've been using it for a year+ and this only started happening a few days ago. It's a GTX 1080 Palit Jetstream card, and I was experimenting with very light overclocking through MSI Afterburner some time before this started happening, but I wasn't getting any issues while overclock was active, so not sure if that's the cause. I'm not using any OC now except for the custom fan curve to make the GPU a bit cooler, but the issue persists regardless of whether Afterburner is on or not. I'm also using a 4k TV as a monitor so I thought it might be related to scaling since it only affects programs, but then again it wasn't happening until a few days ago. Anyone has any idea what it might be?

Solution
If there has been damage, a new PSU will not fix the problem, but it will prevent further damage to the rest of your system. A junk quality PSU can kill hardware. I have had it happen, myself.

But is there any way to definitively test whether a GPU is damaged? What's curious to me is that this is happening only in static 2d programs, not games not in browsers or while watching films, etc. Temperature and performance are fine, not sure what other signs are supposed to be there.
I was planning on selling the GPU for the new one but this might drastically bomb the price if it turns out true.

Update: I tried removing graphics drivers completely and the issue is gone now.

ribasmudj

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
If there has been damage, a new PSU will not fix the problem, but it will prevent further damage to the rest of your system. A junk quality PSU can kill hardware. I have had it happen, myself.

But is there any way to definitively test whether a GPU is damaged? What's curious to me is that this is happening only in static 2d programs, not games not in browsers or while watching films, etc. Temperature and performance are fine, not sure what other signs are supposed to be there.
I was planning on selling the GPU for the new one but this might drastically bomb the price if it turns out true.

Update: I tried removing graphics drivers completely and the issue is gone now.

Last edited:
Solution