[SOLVED] Artifacts on idle when undervolting

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
I really can't have a day without a problem with this GPU (RX 580)

Anyways I've been undervolting this card for about a month now no problems, but a week ago out of a sudden it showed diagonal artifact lines on the screen and the PC completely froze for about 20 seconds and that's on idle, no heavy load just google chrome. Restarted the computer, undervolted it again and nothing happened, no performance loss or any stability issues. stayed like that for a week.

Yesterday the exact same thing happened except that it happened shortly and no freezing and didn't have to restart the PC. I undervolted it again nothing happened for the entire day.

Today, the exact thing happens for the third time with diagonal artifacts, except it was followed after by a BSOD while the artifacts changed the shape to look like this.
20191228_135053.jpg

PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA
win32kfull.sys

rxz.png

Could it be the driver or the memory voltage?

Last edited:
Solution
But the freezing/artifacts and that BSOD actually happened on idle, doing nothing but scrolling through instagram, it never happened during a game even in GPU extensive games, really bothers me because it has never done this for a month until recently without putting the GPU on load.
I would go get a new 550-650 watt Bronze or Gold rated PSU and try it, if it doesn't fix anything return it if you need to. I would keep it to use as a replacement for future upgrades.

Edit - If you can RMA the GPU, do that first or after the new PSU.

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
the old version of vs 550? get a better one.
Is it possible that a bad/low quality PSU can cause screen artifact? The thing is this doesn't happen all the time it just pops up randomly, sometimes it stays stable for weeks sometimes it crashes and shows artifacts unpredictably.

Oh another thing I forgot to mention and may be helpful, my motherboard is ASUS PRIME H310M-E R2.0

Is it possible that a bad/low quality PSU can cause screen artifact? The thing is this doesn't happen all the time it just pops up randomly, sometimes it stays stable for weeks sometimes it crashes and shows artifacts unpredictably.

Oh another thing I forgot to mention and may be helpful, my motherboard is ASUS PRIME H310M-E R2.0
In GPU-Z on the sensor tab after running a game, change GPU power to show the highest value and reply with what it reached for wattage. That VS 550 is likely just not good enough to run an RX 580 and the reason for it running for a long time between issues may just be it's not being pushed as hard as when it has issues. It could still be the GPU, since you say it has artifacting issues.

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019
In GPU-Z on the sensor tab after running a game, change GPU power to show the highest value and reply with what it reached for wattage. That VS 550 is likely just not good enough to run an RX 580 and the reason for it running for a long time between issues may just be it's not being pushed as hard as when it has issues. It could still be the GPU, since you say it has artifacting issues.
But the freezing/artifacts and that BSOD actually happened on idle, doing nothing but scrolling through instagram, it never happened during a game even in GPU extensive games, really bothers me because it has never done this for a month until recently without putting the GPU on load.

I would go get a new 550-650 watt Bronze or Gold rated PSU and try it, if it doesn't fix anything return it if you need to. I would keep it to use as a replacement for future upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: xollextor
Solution

xollextor

Commendable
Jul 28, 2019

Seems like the PSU is weaker than I expected and I was planning on upgrading to RTX 2070, guess I'll have to upgrade the PSU first. Thanks!

Also running at stock voltage seems to fix the problem, this is only seldom triggered when I touch voltage settings whether it's a reset button OR lowering core voltage maybe I just happen to have a very bad case of silicon lottery.

I updated to Adrenalin 2020 since it offers independent voltage control one for VRAM and other for GPU so I could only control the core voltage and leave VRAM at auto, I think the problem was the memory not getting enough voltage since unlocking it for GPU also unlocks it for VRAM in older versions and sets it to 950mV automatically which probably wasn't enough while also the PSU couldn't handle it well.

I'll see if any BSOD/freezing/artifacts happen after this.