As predicted the FX-4100 OC's very well

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

beenthere

Distinguished
The FX-4100 may be the OC CPU of choice for many AMD folks looking for a good value as it's been shown to OC to 4.6 GHz. at the default voltage, with the OEM HSF. The 1000 MHZ. OC results in a 27% increase in performance in Cinebench R 11.5. With a street price of ~$120. this CPU could make many people very happy.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1766/1/

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
bulldozer isnt nearly as bad as it was marketed. marketing it as a modern "fx" was a mistake from the beginning. honestly i dont know what the boys over at amd were thinking. no wonder theyre letting their marketing department go.

bulldozer is NOT an 8 core cpu and never should have been marketed as such. yes, it technically has 8 cores but this cpu is unlike anything before. its sharing resources between 2 cores, and calling it a module. i practical terms, a "8 core" is a 4 core. a 4 core is a 2 core. had they just marketed it for what it is, a core with an extra physical core, to help compete with hyperthreading. really, they "doubled" their cores while only adding 10-20 percent to the die space. its not a magic trick. you dont get 100 percent more for 20 percent

amd has a vision. the vision is true multithreading. able to work on any amount of cores. crossfire set ups that work, with 100 percent gain. just being able to dump more cpu cores and gpu cores into a computer and have the benefit be there 100 percent. in all actuality, we all want this. software always using as many cores as possible with maximum efficiency. the limits and constraints of building a modern super computer desktop would become practical. if this were to happen, amd would not only compete with intel, but be something to be feared. this is the vision. bulldozer is a step in that direction.

all i can say is its a vision i share, but dont go discontinuing that phenom line anytime soon. single/dual/tri threaded apps are very *now*

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011

No its 4 modules 8 threads. Thats not cores. lets call the 2600k a 8 core machine as well then we pit it up against the I7-980x in heavily cpu computed tasks that uses all the cores and see who comes out on top.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Doesn't matter if they overclock, they still won't match a 2500k, maybe you should watercool one since they run so hot.