Asetek Unveils Liquid-Cooled Notebook Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
That's actually pretty Awesome. It would be cool if the keyboard was detachable or even if it folded back towards you transformer style or a touch screen style keyboard like on smart phones.

What happens if you run out of coolant? Say, in 1-2 years, that is about when even Corsair's own Hydro series screws itself over. Think about it, consumers won't spend another 3000 for a laptop, so there has to be a way of adding coolant? Especially in a laptop, where it is very compact and crucial to someones entire system.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
4.4GHZ momentary single core turbo, or 4.4GHZ constant all 4 cores? It's most probably just turbo because all 4 cores at 4.4GHZ would produce ALOT of heat, and probably ALOT of Vcore boost, and hence lower life.

cee2cee

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
For all of you that are commenting on battery life: yeah of course this thing won't have as much. But the point is this is made for people who need to move their pc around but still will plug it into a wall like lan party gamers or mobile production studio use.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]What happens if you run out of coolant? Say, in 1-2 years, that is about when even Corsair's own Hydro series screws itself over. Think about it, consumers won't spend another 3000 for a laptop, so there has to be a way of adding coolant? Especially in a laptop, where it is very compact and crucial to someones entire system.[/citation]
run out of coolant? those are metal pipes, water is going to take a long time to evaporate.

[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]Doesn't coolant start to gel up after a couple of years?[/citation]
some does but water doesn't. I don't know what they are using but i'd imagine it would be something that won't change it's state.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
one solid heatsink that ran across the entire back would do the same thing. the whole point to liquid cooling is to take the heat away from the sources and bring them to a large radiator so that it can be cooled more effectively. take a look, 3 small radiators right next to the heat sources. this laptop is nothing more than something to brag about.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dontcrosthestreams[/nom]if 6990m were something other than marketing fraud, i would like this computer.[/citation]

how is it a fraud? are they charging 700$ for a single gpu?
mobile=/=desktop
this is the best mobile they offer if memory serves.
so they gave it the highest number.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
For someone who moves about a lot for lan parties, it's perfect.
If someone can afford such a thing, he can probably also afford a more conventional laptop for daily unplugged use.

G

I have the R1 M18x, and it does run quite hot, 2920XM is able to get 4.4GHz on air for a good boost, 4.0GHz constant. this would be a welcome addition to help cool it down.
sidenote: battery life isn't as bad as you think, plugged in with discrete enabled it's about 2hrs, on integrated it's around 5hrs... although everything does underclock itself, but still not bad for a 20lb monstrosity.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]What happens if you run out of coolant? Say, in 1-2 years, that is about when even Corsair's own Hydro series screws itself over. Think about it, consumers won't spend another 3000 for a laptop, so there has to be a way of adding coolant? Especially in a laptop, where it is very compact and crucial to someones entire system.[/citation]
It's a closed loop, you won't run out of coolant because it is not evaporating at an appreciable rate. Corsair's Hydro coolers are also closed loop, and don't run out of coolant either.

Think about it. If you fill a plastic bottle with water, would you expect to come back a year later and find an empty bottle? Of course not, you'd find it with pretty much the same level you left it at. I'd be surprised if you could measure the evaporation without some fairly sophisticated equipment.

icrf

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]They should just remove the battery. This laptop is basically a ultraportable desktop. I love the use of liquid cooling.[/citation]
I buy a UPS for all my desktops, having one built-in is actually kind of a nice feature. Just treat it like a UPS and not like a mobile power source, and it's just fine. I have a big quad-core mobile workstation and I consider it to have enough battery power to remain on while I move it from one outlet to another.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
There was a crucial detail left out of the presentation: Power usage. Does it have 3 fans and a pump now? Or 1 fan and a pump? How much battery draw was increased/decreased?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Modern laptops use copper heat pipes, and I'm pretty sure they already have some liquid floating along the pipes, not from a pump but because of heat transfer. That liquid never leaks out and I doubt you'd have to worry about a water cooled laptop to run low on coolant.

From a few posts up, yeah probably just one large heatpipe that the 2GPUs and CPUs connect to, and bring it to a large heatsink with a very fast fan, that might do the same thing. I don't know if heat conductivity would be less than a water cooling system.

@memadmax, power consumption; It looks like there will be a fan for each radiator, how could a radiator cool without air flow, and then you have the coolant pump. I'm guessing the pump doesn't take more than a few watts, and each fan maybe 2.5 watts at full speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.