ask for opinions and consult on new system

david999

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Hey all,
I build a new system and I would like yr opinion on it, and also consult on some parts before I clean my pocket.
I wanted in this system to run very fast, and also mainly to edit video and watch\record from TV. games is less important, I not playing much and mostly old games.

this is the specification:
■ Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
■ CPU fan: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX CL-P0310
■ MoBo: Gigabyte GA-965G-DS4
■ x2 Kingston DDR2 1GB 800MHz CL5
■ graphic card: Asus EN8500GT SILENT/HTD/512M (with nVIDIA GeForce 8500GT, 512MB DDR2, VGA, DVI-I, HDTV and s-video in PCI-E x16)
■ WD Caviar 500GB 16M SATA2
■ DVD-RAM: Asus DRW-1814BLT
■ TV card: Leadtek WinFast TV USB II Deluxe

I found the graphic card in good price, about 150$ and good specs but I concern if there is a reason for that price and maybe there is problem with that card, I not much understand in graphic cards.

about the TV card I was looking for TV card that contain all the inlet & outlet there is like RF TV in, RCA-Video & and audio R&L in, s-video in, and the same RCA & s-video out, also able to schedule record. I hoped also for vga out but I didnt find something like this, and I think the TV cards market r really less developed from other hardware. maybe some of u know about something like that?

I doubt between 2 PC cases. I looking for pc case in regular size (not the towers). I wonder if there is space problem for the cpu fan I chose with small pc case - once I installed some big cpu fan for standard case and there was a bit problem with few centimeters but in the end it was solved with some part I took out.
the 2 pc case I doubting:
Thermaltake Soprano DX VE7000BWS http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/midtower/sopranoDX/ve7000bws.asp and EZCOOL H 550D-F25 http://www.jsp-tech.com/_english/2_products/2_detail.php?hMainTypeID=1&hSubTypeID=10&hProdID=153
the reason for doubting is the damn door in the front panel in the Thermaltake case. this door doesnt do anything but bother, specially when I need to carry the computer it is opening and slamming down, and also bother when I need to replace cd's specially when it lies on the side. do someone know if it possible to remove this door without break it? also the price r some reason of doubting.

one last question, I wonder if I need to invest in the power supply. what I think important is that it enough for the power needed and the other things like connectors is less important. is more expensive PSU r better in fault tolerance that can save the hardware or its just the capacity and connectors?

thanx in advance for every helper!

david999

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
thank u all for the help it really helpful!
the mobo g-paw suggest is ready good and better price. I looked at it in gigabyte's web site and I think I found even better - GA-P35C-DS3R
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2631#
its got x8 SATA and becoz DDR3 is really expensive in my country its let me the possibility to upgrade in the future, what do ya think?

I looked by the suggestions of the GPU and I found GV-NX86T256H
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...e=VGA&ProductID=2577&ProductName=GV-NX86T256H
in about 170$. it can be that the prices in the US is cheaper, for example GeForce 7600 GS cost about 145$ here.
what do u think I should get in that prices?
for general knowledge, what for example is the different between GeForce 8600 GT and 8500 GT? Im lack of understanding in GPU.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Looks like the 8600GT uses DDR3 memory while the 8500GT uses DDR2, DDR 3 is faster. Suggest you go to newegg. com and under video cards do a Power Search for Gigabyte 8500GT and 8600GT video cards and compare them. If out you're outside the US you won't be able to buy from them but still a good way to compare. For gaming the 8600GT would be the minimum. If you can't afford the 8600GT, the 7600GT might be better than the 8600GS for gaming although it won't run Diriect X 10.

Not sure but doesn't look look like either case comes with a PSU. Antec and FSP both make good PSU and you should get at least 500w. The Antec Sonnata III is a very nice case and comes with a 500w PSU. I have several Sonata IIs with doors and not really a big deal. When I'm burning CDs/DVDs I just leave it unlatched.