Ask Me Anything - Official Cooler Master Representatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Tom's Hardware Ask Me Anything - Cooler Master
Ever wanted to ask one of the big hardware or software giants something directly? Why’d they do that? Where’d the idea come from for that last product? What’s in store next? Well, now you have the chance!

Tom’s Hardware is proud to announce the second of our brand new community features – ASK ME ANYTHING.

On Tuesday, July 2nd, we’ll be hosting the second of a series of Tom’s Hardware Ask Me Anythings, and our guests will be official representatives from Cooler Master!

This thread will be unlocked, open and live for 24 hours starting at 12:00 noon eastern on July 2nd, and questions will be moderated and supervised by Tom’s Community Manager, Joe Pishgar, and a full team of Senior Moderators.

Ask Me Anything Rules
• No tech support questions, as these require in-depth personal follow-up and diagnostics.
• All Rules of Conduct apply.
• Keep questions direct and to the point.
• Avoid opinion bias - ie: "Why are all your products awesome/bad/smelly?"
• Be respectful of our guests, no insults, no leading questions.
• Do not post duplicate questions, or repost your question multiple times.
• Not all questions may be answered. Questions may not be answered in the order in which they are received or posted.

Only registered users will be able to ask questions, so if you haven’t yet, be sure to register now for your chance to participate!

The official representatives will reply periodically over the time the AMA is active using a recognized and verified account.

Please join us on this date to throw your questions into the mix and ask Cooler Master what you’ve always wanted to ask.

What: Ask Me Anything – Cooler Master
When: Tuesday, July 2nd, 12:00 p.m. Noon EDT
Where: This thread itself!
Who: Jon_CM, Product Manager and assorted other Cooler Master spokespeople and reps.

Our Guests from Cooler Master are-

Name: Jon
Username: Jon_CM
Title: Product Manager
Bio: In my last 5 years at Cooler Master we've developed some of the most innovative products. Non-work related interests include scuba diving, marksmanship, short walks on the beach, and parenting.

Name: Nate
Username: Cm-Nate
Title: Desktop Components - Product Champion
Bio: Hardware and Scotch Enthusiast. Fan of Dr. Who, Game of Thrones and Final Fantasy.

Name: Nic
Username: CM Nic
Title: Purveyor of Possessed Writing Instruments
Bio: Creative Writer, Customer Advocate, Modder, Enthusiast Builder

Name: Rajiv
Username: CMRajiv
Title: Product Marketing
Bio: Growing up, I loved PCs and got into building my own through my love of FPS games (notably Quake). After graduating college I became an MMO hermit until I was able to get a job in the industry, learning the ins and outs of marketing, and now working with Cooler Master to promote all three product lines (components, gaming, and mobile).

The AMA is now LIVE!

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
More and more modern PCs are ditching optical drives and floppy drives. Also, for memory cards, more people are using the card readers integrated into their monitors. In this way, the need for the external 5.25 inch drive seems to be dwindling. How does Cooler Master see this trend? Is there still a need for these bays? Will we be seeing less external drive bays in future Cooler Master cases in favor of other components or better airflow?

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
With the introduction of Windows 8, touch based PCs are gaining favor, particularly “all in one” desktop PCs. This is leading to the shrinking of the traditional “box” or “tower” PC market. OEM makers are reacting to this by releasing more and more all in one machines. As a case manufaturer, do you plan on releasing an “all in one” case for system builders anytime soon?

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Right now, we haven't had any timetable for the release of this version. As for the reasoning, I'll leave it up to Jon to explain. :)

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013

There is nothing like this on the timeline, but it's not completely out of the question. Personally, I believe the market that buys all-in-one units has no desire to build their PC and looking for something with the smallest footprint for basic computing needs, so competing against the ready built system puts us at a serious disadvantage. We've thrived on providing unique system build options with our cases and I don't see that changing any time soon. There is still a budding PC enthusiast community out there and we are going to find ways to bring attention back to the excitement and fun of PC building.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Modern laptops run very hot due to their extreme compact form, and in order to cool these, you sell many great fan coolers. In Japan, some companies, such as ELECOM, sell liquid/gel based cooling pads to offer better cooling. This works by having a flexible surface contact the bottom of the laptop directly, absorbing the heat. Do you plan on releasing any laptop cooler that works like this?

ianst1024

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Hi guys. I'm a big fan of the Cosmos 2 and I'm wondering if you're planning on a refresh of it or something new. So basically, what are your plans with the Ultra Tower segment and when will we expect to see something happen? If you have thought of it could you give us a broad hint of what to expect pls? For eg, it's going to be stylish (as in the cosmos 2 scenario) or it's going to be big and square (as in the Corsair 900D).

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Haha, color is always very subjective. I doubt we'll go into color options, but you can always mod it/paint it!

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013

We definitely have something new coming up this year that we're excited about. It's too early to share details, but we think it is going to really make enthusiasts and modders excited and give that 'wow' factor to everyone in general.

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Jon (our case PM) will probably give you better insight, but I'll give my input!

I do believe that we have options available for all types of builders and there is always going to be people that find a use for the 5.75" bays. We absolutely notice the trend (back in the day people have 2-3 cdrw/dvd drives.. now its normally 1), but giving flexibility will always be a key focus across the product line so there is an option for any build type.

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013

We wouldn't have this info since we're the North American team, sorry! We can try to inquire about it but don't know if we'll get the answer within the AMA window.

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hi everyone,

Glad to be here for this AMA and look forward to your questions on our full product line, including CM Storm gaming peripherals and also our Mobile products as well.

While we're answering questions I just wanted to let people know about the Cooler Master Americas facebook page (facebook.com/CoolerMasterNA) and also our sub-reddit (reddit.com/r/coolermaster) that we always give updated news and product info.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Thanks for the prompt answer! :) One more thing, is Cooler Master going to develop a HAF series in small form factor chasis any time soon?

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

I see you don't know the HAF XB

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Without giving too many details - yes!

lp231

Splendid
With almost everyone going into small form factor since it can do the same as large form factors. Is there a possibility, you guys going to make the Cosmos, HAF, and Storm series in MicroATX and even miniITX?
It would be awesome to see these cases coming in different sizes starting from full tower and all in the way down to miniITX.

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Currently, we do not have any plans for products like this but that could change given we are increasing focus on our mobile line of products.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
There has been a recent trend towards developing mini ITX boards with full-fledged functionality. Do you have any new products coming out for the enthusiast lines that take advantage of this trend? Such as cases, power supplies, heat-pipe HSF units that don't block memory slots, etc. ?

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

Nono, i wanted a specific SFF HAF case which can only fit a Mini-ITX board. The HAF XB is actually a mid-tower-cube-case. It is considered not a SFF chasis. Because it can fit a Mini-ITX, m-ATX, and ATX. :)

rodpad

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Do you plan on making a Silent Pro M3 series of PSU's that are as quiet as the original Silent Pro M series?

CMRajiv

Honorable
May 28, 2013

HAF = High Air Flow

Creative, right? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.