Asking for an advice

pecaros.igor

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
Hello,
Before I talk about this issue that I have, let me first explain my situation. I have an apartment with two floors. For many years, we had our PC on the first floor, where we have the router as well. Probably about two months ago, I've built a new PC and moved it upstairs. In order to get internet connection, I bought a USB WiFi adapter. The problem is, I am a very competitive gamer and I need a very stable internet connection which the USB stick doesn't provide (my ping jumps randomly and when my parents are using it, the games are literally unplayable). My parents didn't agree with my idea to buy a super long Ethernet cable and conduct it all the way to the second floor indoors (to say the least). So that leaves me with 2, possibly 3 options that I can do. Which one do you guys think is the best and why?

Option 1: I buy a super long Ethernet cable and conduct it from my window, all the way down to the terrace downstairs and then connect it to the router. This idea is the cheapest one but also the cable can get damaged. I heard there are some UTP cables for outdoor use, but I was unable to find them, also Amazon does not deliver to my county.

Option 2: I buy a Power-line Adapter. This option is the most expensive one, but from what I've read it works the best.

Option 3: This last option was recommended to me by my friend and I don't know if it is even possible to do. He said that I can buy another router (specifically TP-LINK because the router that I have downstairs is also TP-LINK) and somehow connect them wirelessly which I suppose they can do and then put the Ethernet cable into that router and connect it to my PC. This option is cheaper than Option 2, but I don't know if it's possible to do.

Thank you for reading this, hopefully I haven't taken too much of your time.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
It initially comes down to the bandwith of your original connection with your ISP and the bandwith remaining while being used by your parents but it should definately improve your existing connection. If the connection works fine when you are next to the Router as opposed to upstairs then you will be fine. Have you tested it with the PC near the router yet to determine that the issue resides locally and not with your connectivity or ISP ?

pecaros.igor

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017

Well I haven't really moved my PC downstairs, but I don't think that the WiFi signal itself isn't the problem, it's the USB adapter.