Question ASROCK B450M HDV R4.0 with Ryzen 5 3400G keeps freezing and restarting.

Oct 2, 2023
I have asked technical support and am waiting on advice for them, but for good measure, I'm asking on Tom's Hardware Forum too so I can get as much advice as possible.
Basically, ages ago, I bought a budget setup, ASROCK B450M HDV R4.0 with Ryzen 5 3400G and 2x 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 RAM Sticks, a 500W Thermaltake TR2 S Series PSU, aswell as an ADATA SU650 500 GB SSD. It works! Except not really, because every now and then whenever I'm playing a game or even watching YouTube videos, the entire system will freeze, replay audio for about 5 seconds and then the entire thing will just outright crash and I have to turn it on and off again by the power button. I am using Linux, however, I am 99% that it has nothing to do with my issues since I have installed drivers to their latest versions and I have tried many different kernel versions and pretty much basically everything to try and get this thing working flawlessly, which it unfortunately hasn't. I have checked kernel and system logs countless amounts of times and there is nothing that I can find that can actually help me.

I have done some research and it seems others have similar issues with the integrated graphics on the same motherboard, some have been told to downgrade to BIOS P3.20 and I am on BIOS P3.70 so that is an option, but I'm currently waiting on ASROCK technical support to see whether or not I should be doing that, or whether or not its safe. Some have even said that they just outright hate their motherboard. I, though, want to keep my mobo and not get a new one, or atleast get as few new components as possible. Some have even said to underclock the RAM, which I have done, I've even overclocked it and tweaked with it so many times and it never made ANY difference whatsoever, the system would just keep infrequently crashing every now and then, 5 hours later, 3 hours later, sometimes even just 1 hour or 30 minutes into gameplay, its so annoying and it never gives me any logs as to what happened or why it happened. I even did a memtest, which obviously passed, so either its the motherboards janky drivers or I somehow have a faulty cpu, which I think is not true because it seems to work just fine for a lot of other things, and also no it was not a overheating issue either because it stayed on like 40 degrees the entire time.

Another thing I've been wondering is whether or not I should buy a RX 580 or a RX 6600 / RX 6600 XT as people are saying the integrated graphics are just god awful and you would be better off with a real GPU on that board, would those cards work with my 500W power supply? Anyways those are my questions, should I just get a new GPU or should I downgrade my BIOS instead and see if that works? Or would it be better in the long run to get a new gpu now and just not bother with the integrated graphics that I originally bought the 3400G for, that definitely sounds silly, but I was planning to upgrade it anyways and I bought those components a long time ago, I just never used them because the PC was always running into issues and I never did anything about it until now, for some reason. I think its because I got too used to using my laptop and now I'm noticing that my laptop is expectedly starting to kick the can, so working on my PC now would be better to preserve what little life the poor laptop has and move to a far superior system.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

500W Thermaltake TR2 S Series PSU
is this the PSU you're using;
?

Pertaining to your motherboard, I'd suggest that you have the latest BIOS version on the board, meaning update to the latest.

You could try and see if swapping the rams for another kit and if the issue crops up again.

Oct 2, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

500W Thermaltake TR2 S Series PSU
is this the PSU you're using;
?

Pertaining to your motherboard, I'd suggest that you have the latest BIOS version on the board, meaning update to the latest.

You could try and see if swapping the rams for another kit and if the issue crops up again.

Yeah I believe so. I will try to update to the latest BIOS, because it is in my best interest to try and get the integrated graphics working, but in the future, I do plan on upgrading some stuff and I would like to know if the PSU I have is good enough or is it not "high quality" enough? A lot of people on this forum say wattage doesn't matter but the "quality" matters. As for the BIOS, I have heard that latest drivers make a fuss with integrated graphics and you should downgrade to 3.20, but some say later drivers are just fine.

I really don't feel like buying a new RAM kit or buying more and more components to the point where I have just bought a second PC in order to solve my issue, a lot of people say B450M HDV R4.0 sucks and maybe thats true but buying a new motherboard would probably defeat the entire purpose.

Oct 2, 2023
An update after a while, I upgraded to the latest BIOS version and everything was fine until I noticed my PC starting to run games incredibly slow, got loads of kernel errors relating to clocks, so I decided to change from auto to 1500mhz freq and 1.1 voltage in GFX and everything has been working fine so far.

If anyone else sees this, try updating your drivers on Linux, update the bios and set the GFX freq to a specific number, not auto. I still don't think I'm in the clear, theres always going to be issues or problems around the corner, in the future I would recommend never bothing with APUs and just getting a gpu like a Ryzen 6600 or a NVIDIA card because after this i do not trust AMD