Question ASRock beep codes?

baribari

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
I just put together a new system with an ASRock X570 motherboard, but I think the video card I tried to re-use (GTX-1070) has given up the ghost (or possibly isn't getting enough juice from an old PSU?).

However, my manual doesn't list any beep codes and all the information on the internet seems inconsistent.

Does anyone have the definite list of beep codes for current ASRock mobos?

Without the card I get five long beeps (which I believe says that there is no video) and with it I get two sets of three short beeps, which I believe indicates a bad expansion card (probably my video card).

I plan on borrowing a card for testing ASAP.

baribari

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
You have your GPU in the PCIe slot closest the CPU socket?

All power connectors (to the GPU especially, but also ATX and EPS) are fully seated?

yeah, but I am 99% sure the video card was dying (sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't, but then suddenly my old computer died and wouldn't turn back on). This is like the.... fifth or six computer I have put together.

The fans on the GPU are even spinning.

baribari

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
its a 600 watt Antec 80 Platinum, but its eight years old

before my computer broke I could play games fine when the GPU worked (when it didn't work I could still use my computer with the onboard graphics)

baribari

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
It might have been a 650 (probably overkill for my computer).

The weird thing is that before I could eventually get the computer to work fine if I restarted it enough.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not so much 'overkill' if it was one of those EarthWatts 650 units. Those were 80+ Platinum rated, yes, but a really dated design in 2020.... and a 3 year warranty for a unit that first released in ~2011 (I think). Even if you bought it in ~2013, it's still years beyond it's warranty period. While times have changed, and 7, 10 and 12 year warranties are becoming more common, even back ~2011, a good quality PSU that was expected to last had 5 years.

Not saying it's not the GPU, but if I were you, the PSU would be the first thing I'd replace.
That unit is dated, and you should really have something better for a more modern platform.
If you replace the PSU (with something of quality), you may find the 1070 is fine. Equally, you may not. Hopefully borrowing a GPU and trying out a different config tomorrow will help you narrow things down.