crispykiller96

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Hello there i have just bought this motherboard from Ebay

ASRock M3N78D nForce 720D (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3
Motherboard

Here is the link

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=m3n78d

But i want a good processer to match my board i want my pc to play top games ect Resident Evil 5 .Dirt 2 Tomb Raider Underworld

But while im on my travels to find a reliable AM3 cpu im a bit confused and was wondering if anyone can help

I was thinking about buying the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz

But Thats over the 920 / 940 requirement model

Does that mean i cannot jump too lets say Phenom II X4 965 which would be over the requirements and would be incompatible with this motherboard correct if if im wrong guys

What are these numbers its been just over a year since my last build
so im lacking a bit of CPU knowledge right now

This board doesnt mention anything about supporting the

AMD Phenom II x6 1075T

So im guessing that CPU is not supported
So does that mean i can only stay under the 920 / 940 margin and it will work fine

Sorry guys fro the long post i just wanted give out as much information as possible and i dont to mess up buying the wrong CPU

Thanks

Both the 965 BE and the 955BE are available in 938Pins....

So they are compatible with your board...... it's only the 920Pins and 940 Pins processors which are going to be incompatible with that socket....

AMD Phenom II x6 1075T is also a 938 Pin Processor so it will support it....

No those aren't marginal numbers (920/940), and you can't stay in that region at all, if your processor is 920 pin, it'll not work on that board, and if it's 940pin again it's not going to work on that board.....
The other mentioned processors will work.....
So you just have to be sure which Processor you buy, buy, any of the above but not if they're 920 or 940 pin models..... some AM3 CPUs are , others are all compatible.....

crispykiller96

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009

Thanks both of you for the replies i feel like a fool thinking more into this then i needed to the 920 / 940 is mealy just the AM2 + CPU socket
and the new AM3 is the newer counterpart so pritty much any AM3 cpu will work with my motherboard

also thanks for the link mate its very easy to note the models of cpu so i can easily find a good matching cpu

thanks